PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to make Emerald default?

WBL
June 1st, 2008, 08:49 PM
I'm running GNOME + Compiz. I just installed Emerald. However, it does not run once I start up - gtk-window-decorator does.

How do I make it run Emerald instead of gtk-window-decorator?

-WBL

benerivo
June 1st, 2008, 09:37 PM
Go to Main Menu>System>Preferences>Sessions and make a new startup program. Call it emerald and the executable is just called

emerald

Then logout and log back in.
If this doesn't work, then install compiz settings manager (i forget the actual package name) and in one of the options windows, it asks you about what the default window decorator should be. Change it from /usr/bin/whateveritsays to /usr/bin/emerald

nilarimogard
June 1st, 2008, 09:38 PM
i use a script.sh that i made run at startup:

#!/bin/bash
sleep 10 && emerald --replace ;

(don't forget to make it executable)

gareth_005
June 1st, 2008, 10:12 PM
"Preferences"->"Advanced desktop effects"->"Effects"->"Window decoration".
Set "Command" to "emerald --replace"

WBL
June 1st, 2008, 10:30 PM
"Preferences"->"Advanced desktop effects"->"Effects"->"Window decoration".
Set "Command" to "emerald --replace"

Thanks, man - that did the trick. :)

-WBL

bajun
July 18th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Or better change following line in /usr/bin/compiz-decorator:

USE_EMERALD="no"
and set this to

USE_EMERALD="yes",
then there are fallback options, for example "Do not leave users without decoration if decorator fails".

davidryder
March 5th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Or better change following line in /usr/bin/compiz-decorator:

USE_EMERALD="no"
and set this to

USE_EMERALD="yes",
then there are fallback options, for example "Do not leave users without decoration if decorator fails".

I like this solution :D

hemebond
March 28th, 2009, 03:50 AM
The proper way to do this is to create or edit the file ~/.compiz/compiz-manager to have the line
USE_EMERALD="yes"This file is read by Compiz Fusion and over-rides the default settings in /usr/bin/compiz-decorator.

Pelsia
October 22nd, 2009, 02:26 AM
Don't mean to zombie a thread, instead share a solution to this same problem (under slightly different circumstances). When trying to make emerald my default kept getting the following errors in the terminal:

/usr/share/themes/Clearlooks/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:49: Invalid symbolic color 'bg_color'
/usr/share/themes/Clearlooks/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:49: error: invalid identifier `bg_color', expected valid identifier

I didn't have the advanced desktop settings in my system preferences, but was able to resolve
it via the compiz-fusion icon. And from there setting the default desktop manager to
emerald. In searching these messages seem to stem from an unresolved bug, whether
that is the case or not doing the above with the compiz icon resolves it.