PDA

View Full Version : thinking about not using Ubuntu anymore

gameryoshi600
June 1st, 2008, 06:42 PM
edit:
thanks to Mr. Picklesworth. I have edited the thread. It is the hardware manufacturers fault for not providing drivers.. its probably because microsoft has to be a monopoly and pay them for making drivers meant for windows

kinematic
June 1st, 2008, 06:52 PM
If you want better hardware support, complain to the hardware manufacturers. They're the ones who have the responsibility to provide decent drivers, not the OS devs.That said, Linux has the best hardware support on the planet. It can run on everything from toasters to supercomputers, try that with Windows ;-)

Mr. Picklesworth
June 1st, 2008, 06:53 PM
Eeek! Quickly, edit the post before someone flames this place :O

You currently have it worded as though Ubuntu is to blame for hardware support issues, when in fact the blame lies squarely with manufacturers. For example, Intel hardware tends to work well, whereas NVidia's drivers are poor because they refuse to release source code (or detailed specs).

Not that you should suffer with hardware that doesn't work, of course. What is giving you trouble? I have had fairly decent luck with hardware, with an exception being NVidia (in my current computer) and Marvell WiFi drivers (in my old useless computer).

gameryoshi600
June 1st, 2008, 06:54 PM
thanks for a reason not to go back to windows.

Islington
June 1st, 2008, 07:11 PM
thanks for a reason not to go back to windows.

Well your OS choice is yours alone. It really shouldn't matter what reasons people give you. If you feel like going back to windows you should. :)

Mr. Picklesworth
June 1st, 2008, 07:12 PM
People can also use this form to actually make a difference instead of writing a meaningless forum post:

Dear ,

I use your [Insert Hardware Here], but I have been upset to learn that the only way to actually use this hardware which I purchased and now own is to pay for Microsoft Windows. I find this situation appalling and have considered sending a complaint to [Insert powerful legal office here, eg. Better Business Bureau]. Your actions to support the hardware I paid for are [I]forcing me to use Microsoft software instead of a free Linux operating system like Ubuntu. In essence, this action of exclusion feeds Microsoft's operating system monopoly and is a setback to market freedom.

As a company which makes business producing hardware for a computer platform that strives for openness and flexibility, where software and hardware are treated as separate things, your hardware should indeed work in a way that permits me to use the software I please with my computer. In fact, the only reason many people own or use your hardware is because the modern personal computer is intended as a freely customized system. Failure to support this platform in the way it was intended poses a severe issue for customers such as myself and will become a serious problem for your company in the future. If this platform becomes one of vendor lock-in, there will be nothing to seperate it from its stiffly proprietary competition.

It is my sincere hope that you will, rather than restricting your hardware's potential to only those customers who have bought Microsoft software, instead take steps to provide hardware drivers for all of your paying customers.

Thank you,
[Insert name here]

jrusso2
June 1st, 2008, 09:16 PM
I am just thankful the Nvidia releases Linux drivers at all be it open or closed source. The market for them is so small we should be grateful they take the time and spend the money.

Same with Adobe and Flash.

ATI's drivers are open and they still have more issues then Nvidia. And Intel still seems to have issues with it lastest graphics even though its open source.

cardinals_fan
June 1st, 2008, 09:32 PM
I am just thankful the Nvidia releases Linux drivers at all be it open or closed source. The market for them is so small we should be grateful they take the time and spend the money.

+1

They don't release drivers for NetBSD :(

id1337x
June 1st, 2008, 09:48 PM

You are probably looking at this from the wrong perspective here. Nobody would use Flash like they do now if it didn't have Linux support. There are 9000000 Ubuntu users which is a lot to neglect.

Besides that there is this idea "Linux is for geeks" which is partly because of the fact that a large portion of the Linux users are developers because they are attracted to Linux much much more then anybody else. These developers would not use Flash.

Mr. Picklesworth
June 1st, 2008, 10:22 PM

You are probably looking at this from the wrong perspective here. Nobody would use Flash like they do now if it didn't have Linux support. There are 9000000 Ubuntu users which is a lot to neglect.

Besides that there is this idea "Linux is for geeks" which is partly because of the fact that a large portion of the Linux users are developers because they are attracted to Linux much much more then anybody else. These developers would not use Flash.
Actually, developers using Linux wouldn't use Flash anyway because there are no Linux tools to produce Flash content.

gameryoshi600
June 1st, 2008, 11:35 PM
alright its official I am definatly getting windows back

cardinals_fan
June 2nd, 2008, 12:33 AM
alright its official I am definatly getting Windows back
Have a good time ):P

gameryoshi600
June 2nd, 2008, 09:16 PM
xD nvm really scared of going back to windows...