PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] problems installing Java programs (.bin files) in linux

lukydude
June 1st, 2008, 05:01 PM
i go websites click download for linux or their auto-detect se;ects linux so i download the BIN fie (linux's file) but ubuntu just tells a lie and goes "unable to open "file name.BIN" no application is installed for this type. yet it's linux and ubuntu is linux and .BIN is linux file wtf is wrong with ubuntu?

mick222
June 1st, 2008, 05:03 PM
use synaptic package manager to install files for linux .

xfceuser
June 1st, 2008, 05:04 PM
hi luckydude, BIN files are executables, you must run them from the command line. pretty like the windows installers, but you also must change their file permission to executable.

ibutho
June 1st, 2008, 05:05 PM
For bin files you have to run a terminal and do

chmod +x file.bin
./file.bin

Pumalite
June 1st, 2008, 05:08 PM
Or right click on them, go to Permissions and make a check in executable. Then double click on the file.

lukydude
June 1st, 2008, 05:10 PM
hi luckydude, BIN files are executables, you must run them from the command line. pretty like the windows installers, but you also must change their file permission to executable.
how??

xfceuser
June 1st, 2008, 05:14 PM
For bin files you have to run a terminal and do

chmod +x file.bin
./file.bin

there is two ways to change permissions, like this or by right clicking (as Pumalite explains).

then go a terminal and run the program

ibutho
June 1st, 2008, 05:14 PM
how??
Its been described in my post above and the one by Pumalite.

lukydude
June 1st, 2008, 05:49 PM
permission allowed error stil lcomes even when executing in terminal

xfceuser
June 1st, 2008, 06:01 PM
what was the error mesage?

aysiu
June 1st, 2008, 09:35 PM
Only in rare situations do you need to resort to going to a website and downloading a .bin file.

Read this:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware

lukydude
June 1st, 2008, 09:54 PM
i did but its not on add/remove and they are fro m2 different websites, i need help and im dumb with linux

aysiu
June 1st, 2008, 09:55 PM
i did but its not on add/remove and they are fro m2 different websites, i need help and im dumb with linux
Follow these instructions:
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Puzzle_Pirates_installation_guide_(Linux)

If you get an error message, post it here.

P.S. I've retitled your thread to more accurately reflect the problem.

lukydude
June 1st, 2008, 10:05 PM
thank you and please now you know my problem can you remove the infraction and i never knew there was a bumping rule and i never pressed a bump button either.

lukydude
June 1st, 2008, 10:47 PM
that page you linked me to is blank.