PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu versions

mick222
June 1st, 2008, 02:30 PM
Istumbled across this link http://www.freezylinux.com/
It seems to be just hardy with a different theme. Do you think it is right to distribute these kind of versions or do they just confuse new users.

Joeb454
June 1st, 2008, 02:38 PM
It's fine to do this - it's permitted under the license under which Ubuntu is released

mick222
June 1st, 2008, 02:44 PM
I know it's allowed but is it a valid distro if you just change the wallpaper. I like mint it at least changes things maybe innovates a bit and includes restricted software as standard , but i prefer to do it myself if poss.

Kevbert
June 1st, 2008, 02:45 PM
It's OK as they're all different customizations of Ubuntu. It's even possible to make your own version if you want. I have Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu on my PCs.

mick222
June 1st, 2008, 02:58 PM
yes kubuntu xubuntu etc are different but if you look at the link it's basically just new wallpaper .

LaRoza
June 1st, 2008, 02:59 PM
Istumbled across this link http://www.freezylinux.com/
It seems to be just hardy with a different theme. Do you think it is right to distribute these kind of versions or do they just confuse new users.

New users don't notice them.

corney91
June 1st, 2008, 03:08 PM
Oh I get it! Free+Easy=Freezy! :O

Anybody can make a distro if they want - in my eyes that's the beauty of Linux:)

Fuminsho
June 1st, 2008, 03:17 PM
We as humans,(right or wrong), always want options. It would be nice to have one program and during the install phase you check which options your going to be using. e.g. Laptop vs desktop. BUT were would the fun be in that? =P

jgrabham
June 1st, 2008, 04:06 PM
Yes, you could even find one to teach you basic grammar.

eragon100
June 1st, 2008, 04:39 PM
Well some programs in that link are different (notecase instead of tomboy, i say something called stardict in the menu, some permission system called rsync on one of the screenshots), and it looks very differently, much more like windows. (taskbar with start menu at the bottom, control panel...)

And yes, offcourse this should be allowed, this is what makes linux fun! :)

aysiu
June 1st, 2008, 05:03 PM
I think Ubuntu encourages people to use the word Remix when creating a Ubuntu variant, but they are certainly allowed to make variants.

From the Ubuntu Trademark Policy (http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy):
We recognise and encourage the concept of a “remix.” Remixes are derived versions of Ubuntu, and it is intended that any software and hardware certifications will apply to a Remix. Therefore the changes from official Ubuntu product must be minimal to be permitted to use the Trademarks. These changes can include configuration changes through the existing Ubuntu configuration management tools, changes to artwork and graphical themes and some variance in package selection. In general, a Remix can have applications from the Ubuntu archives added, or default applications removed, but removing or changing any infrastructure components (e.g., shared libraries or desktop components) will result in changes too large for the resulting product to be called by a Trademark. Note that if the nature of the product's divergence from Ubuntu changes, the Remix naming and Trademark use may no longer apply.

Therefore, if you are creating a derivative of Ubuntu, you may use the Trademarks in association with the software product provided: the changes are minimal and unsubstantial, as described above there is no commercial intent associated with the new product the Trademark is used in a way that makes it clear that your project is a development effort related to the Ubuntu source, but that the software you are working upon is not in fact Ubuntu as distributed by the Ubuntu project. The approved naming scheme to facilitate this is through designation “Remix”. For instance, a new ISO image which has been packaged special tools for software developers could be called “Ubuntu, Developers Remix”, or an image was has been created with Thai language packs could be called "Ubuntu Thai Remix". Words such as "Edition" and "Version" should be avoided, as they have specific meaning within the Ubuntu project. Prefixes, such as “ThaiBuntu” should also be avoided. Any other naming scheme will require explicit permission. there is no suggestion (through words or appearance) that your project is approved, sponsored, or affiliated with Ubuntu or its related projects unless it has been approved by and is governed by the Ubuntu Community Council. If you are producing a new product which is based on Ubuntu but which has more substantial changes than those described above as a Remix, you are allowed to state (and we would encourage you to do so) that your product is "derived from Ubuntu", "based on Ubuntu", or "a derivative of Ubuntu" but you may not use the Trademarks to refer to your product. In some cases you may be allowed to use the Trademarks, but we'll need to discuss that. In that event, these products will need a trademark license, and such a license can be revoked if the nature of your divergence from Ubuntu changes. Products which include very invasive changes, such as a new kernel, the inclusion of packages which are not part of the Ubuntu repositories, or anything else that significantly impacts the technical quality or user experience would fall into this category are unlikely to be approved. (Note that if you are including packages which are not part of the Ubuntu repositories, we encourage you to work within the community processes to submit and maintain those packages within the repositories in order to minimise this issue.)

SunnyRabbiera
June 1st, 2008, 05:06 PM
If Ubuntu or linux in general ever stopped allowing folks to modify it, then its importance to people will diminish severely.
I mean this argument can be applied not just with Ubuntu, but with other linux distros.
I mean look at things from a debian purists POV, all Ubuntu is to them is just a re dressed debian with a modified kernel.
The argement can be applied to Mandriva too from a red hat users perspective.
Linux's biggest assest and drawback is its openness, it allows any Joe Shmo to come in and create something new.
If Linux worked like Apple or Microsoft you cam be sure that we would not be where we are right now.

MaindotC
June 2nd, 2008, 12:39 AM
I don't like all the different distributions. They're all just Ubuntu with different settings and packages. When people have questions, they're confused using K or X or Edu thinking its something different. I think this leads to unnecessary confusion. Get Ubuntu and customize it to your needs.