PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] feisty keeps closing on me...

beanco
June 1st, 2008, 09:39 AM
ove the last few ays feisty has closed on me and dumped me back to the long in screen.

happened a feew tiems using epiphany and evolution. At first the mouse stoped like in the horrid MS windooz freeze ups, then boom, back to the log in screen.

only thing that has been changed was my memory because it died recently.. no other changes have been made... could this be causing the problem?

robi

bumanie
June 1st, 2008, 10:13 AM
May be it's a bad dimm slot???, if both sticks tested OK in the shop. Hi there beanco, I added this to the end of your solved core dump issue. I have to go in a few minutes and will come back later, but my initial thought is may be you have a motherboard that is slowly dying.

beanco
June 1st, 2008, 10:20 AM
oh, that would truly suck.

how does one check that?

i really am flat brok now, hope a mother board does not cost too too much..

robi

skymera
June 1st, 2008, 10:32 AM
Maybe upgrade to the latest Ubuntu.

I had several problems with Ubuntu 7.04 that i no longer have now.

bumanie
June 1st, 2008, 10:41 AM
It just sounds a bit fishy that ram tests OK at the shop, but doesn't work once in your computer. You could try placing the 'known' good stick of ram in the slot that plays up and see what happens. Then try the stick that played up into the 'known' good slot. If both sticks work OK in one slot and both play up in the other slot, that would be highly indicative of a dimm slot problem rather than a ram issue. I was actually thinking the same thing skymera suggested, but try the above first.

Just saw this on your last post
you know, when you help me here I actually learn alot because I have to keep loooking up the stuff you suggest/say... which is great! The forum is great for that and is part of the reason for its existence - not only does it help with specific problems it also helps people learn something about how computers work etc. All this is good, you're right there!! Use M$ and you learn very little.

beanco
June 1st, 2008, 01:18 PM
Just had the M$ arguement with my son. he wants to work this summer and buy a laptop, I told him the house will remain a MSFZ (Micro Soft Free Zone) but he went ballistic.... then calmed down and we discussed it. His problem is that he is 15 and never had to deal with an MS machin on the fritz... where as this ubuntu box has had its fair share of problems since he started using it..

and now to my problem....

the memory sticks, both 512 were tested in the shop, both worked according to the guy there, back to work, where the IT guys had my computer, I put the two sticks in the slots and could not fire up the machine...

The IT guys could not get it to work and then started messing with the sticks, trying just one, then the other, then a known good one, then trying my two new ones in a known good slot... funny thing is this is so logical a step that I never even thought of doing it... This is how we found out that one of the sticks is bad.

I will take it back to the shop and exchange it... just a time issue... I really hope it is not a dieing mother board...

robi

OldTimeTech
June 1st, 2008, 01:23 PM
Also sticks of memory don't always work in one motherboard even if they work in another motherboard. You have to make sure you buy memory that is compatible with your motherboard....google motherboard maker and see what memory they suggest.

beanco
June 1st, 2008, 03:17 PM
Also sticks of memory don't always work in one motherboard even if they work in another motherboard. You have to make sure you buy memory that is compatible with your motherboard....google motherboard maker and see what memory they suggest.

will do that later, but I bought the memory that the IT guys suggested and that did not work!

robi

beanco
June 2nd, 2008, 06:47 AM
so i fired up both FF and epiphany via the command line and when they crashed I got the core dumped msg again!!!

could a faulty motherboard be wrecking memory sticks?

robi