PDA

View Full Version : I have spatial memory apparently

XVII
June 1st, 2008, 06:45 AM
I found this article (http://meta.ath0.com/2008/01/18/kde-4-ui-critique/) that basically sums up how I feel about KDE 4. Any thoughts?

FuturePilot
June 1st, 2008, 08:59 AM
Wow apparently I have spatial memory too! :D That's why you should never ever ask me for directions. A guy asked me for directions once. It wasn't until afterwards that I realized I gave him the wrong ones.#-o But I'd have to agree. I hate that menu. It's so tiny and hard to navigate through and a bit slow.

-grubby
June 1st, 2008, 09:19 AM
I hate the KDE4 menu, it makes no sense to me. It's really slow to use, and annoying.

methodmarvel
June 1st, 2008, 11:37 AM
I'm generally not into KDE (and I have tried) and this new menu isn't really better than the other one.

I think the "menu bar" from gnome/ubuntu is the best layout. I wonder what type of memory this means I have?

Tomosaur
June 1st, 2008, 11:50 AM
I also have spatial memory, and indeed, 'audio memory' (I have no idea if that is a real 'type' of memory). I'm great at knowing where I am, finding my way to places etc etc, but I couldn't for the life of me actually TELL someone where I am, or name the roads. I'd be a crappy taxi driver, for sure.

I have the same problem with music. I can remember songs pretty much perfectly, but I can barely ever actually name the song I'm thinking of, even if I've heard it a million times. It's not simply a case of me ignoring the song title - I even sit there with the album case in front of me and check the names of songs as they play - but for whatever reason, names and titles etc just will not stick in my memory. I find that if I say the name out loud as I read it, it sticks in my memory more easily, but I barely every do this.

But still, it doesn't bother me that much :P

FuturePilot
June 1st, 2008, 03:24 PM
Hmmm. Maybe spacial memory is the reason I organize my music so oddly. I don't organize my music by the usual artist/album/ layout. I have my own method. If someone looked at the way it's laid out, they would probably think I made a bunch of random folders and started chucking random songs into them. :lol:

methodmarvel
June 1st, 2008, 03:48 PM
Hmmm. Maybe spacial memory is the reason I organize my music so oddly. I don't organize my music by the usual artist/album/ layout. I have my own method. If someone looked at the way it's laid out, they would probably think I made a bunch of random folders and started chucking random songs into them. :lol:
Blasphemy! /artist/album/# - Title.mp3 forever!

Mr. Picklesworth
June 1st, 2008, 04:42 PM
I don't have memory. I just cache everything to a little piece of paper in the back of my mind. Tried turning down /proc/sys/vm/swappiness and it nearly killed me!
People say I have spatial memory, (which would explain why I always write in a ming-numbingly non-linear manner), but I think it's more because I have so little memory that my actions jump from place to place, then spatial thinking inexplicably takes over because the mess is beyond any logic. Lucky it looks that way, or I would probably be on some weird meds...

As for music organization, I make a point of not organizing with Albums but leaving that to metadata. Just have Artist / Title. Albums made sense back in the day, but (for better or worse) no longer makes sense.

mips
June 1st, 2008, 05:11 PM
As a KDE user I have to say I myself do not like that menu. The good thing is you can easily replace it ;)