PDA

View Full Version : Planning on School... Which should I choose?

captainsixxx
June 1st, 2008, 06:31 AM
Ok, so I am planning on going to school for computers (so I can understand the basic and to learn the programming side of computer) so my question is along the lines of... Do basic community classes teach Linux and suck or is it mostly Windows and other pay as you crash OS's. And does anyone know if ITT tech is worth the money for their COMPUTERS AND NETWORKING class? Any other useful info would be great. Thanks.

tamoneya
June 1st, 2008, 06:34 AM
im not sure about ITT tech and other sorts of community colleges but from what I can tell most schools are heavily invested in microsoft products. The only school that I know of that does otherwise is MIT with its athena systems and other linux systems throughout the network. Im sure you can probably find one or two courses about linux/unix but other than that it is probably all windows.

bufsabre666
June 1st, 2008, 06:40 AM
ITT tech == horrible

i had a friend go there, didnt learn a thing, dropped out of there, now owes 10k in student loans for a little under 2 semesters, im going into my third semester and ive yet to break 7k at suny buffalo which he should of went to

oh well told him he would ruin his life, and i was right, should of listened

Atomic Dog
June 1st, 2008, 07:48 AM
private string You;
if (ITT == ridiculously overpriced bad education)
You = "Run like hell";

else
You = "insane";

Seriously, check your state funded community colleges for intro computer classes. Yes most everyplace is heavily MS oriented, but then again many places want .Net programmers. A C# programmer can do very well for him or herself. Start cheap and take a class or two at a community college, if you feel you can handle it, then go to a 4 year university.

I'm sure some here will flame me, but .Net is a great programming environment, and last I checked the business world still uses Windows. It's about employability folks, and I know for sure companies want .Net coders.

captainsixxx
June 1st, 2008, 07:54 AM
Well thus far ITT is out and Community is looking better. So far thanks to y'all you have probalay saved me tousands and time, I will keep an eye on this for more ideas and such.....

HunterThomson
June 1st, 2008, 08:05 AM
I am kind of in the same boat. I have 2 years in Organic Chem/psychopharmacology.....But moved and have not gone back to school for a couple years now...

I am thinking about moving to computers. My method as of now is to read read read.... Which is working out vary well for me:) I learn vary fast on my own with a stack of books..... However, I think it mite be simpler to get a job in computers with a degree or two under my belt. I want to be a SysAdmin. I was thinking about getting certifications instead of a BS in computer science. This seems like a faster and cheaper way to go but are certifications respected in the business world?

FuturePilot
June 1st, 2008, 08:10 AM
ITT tech == horrible

i had a friend go there, didnt learn a thing, dropped out of there, now owes 10k in student loans for a little under 2 semesters, im going into my third semester and ive yet to break 7k at suny buffalo which he should of went to

oh well told him he would ruin his life, and i was right, should of listened

private string You;
if (ITT == ridiculously overpriced bad education)
You = "Run like hell";

else
You = "insane";

I'm sorry, but I'd have to completely disagree. Can you honestly base an opinion on something you've never experienced? That's like judging a book by its cover.

Kingsley
June 1st, 2008, 08:15 AM
I'm sorry, but I'd have to completely disagree. Can you honestly base an opinion on something you've never experienced? That's like judging a book by its cover.
I've avoided many bad books using the cover method. :-&

HunterThomson
June 1st, 2008, 08:18 AM

I don't know the whole commercial thing is a real turn off. In any case it is always best to at lest spend the first couple years at a cheap school your diploma will only have the name of the school you graduated form. Though if you want to get laid and party out your best bet is the University in your home state:) Though you mite not get vary good grades if you do that:)

bufsabre666
June 1st, 2008, 08:29 AM

sure its only second hand feed back but its from a very good friend and a very technology literate person, but to be honest some ITT schools are rated higher than others, the one here in buffalo ((technically its in getzville)) is rated really low, the work staff is horrible and disinterested. i dont see the point in going to a private school past 12th grade anyways, its usually alot higher priced and theres usually a nationally rated school somewhere close by, for CS you could goto ITT here for 5500$ /semester as an instate student, or you could goto SUNY buffalo which is ranked in the top 50 CS programs nationwide for 2175$ /semester as an instate student. there is logic to this gripe

FuturePilot
June 1st, 2008, 08:41 AM
I don't know the whole commercial thing is a real turn off. In any case it is always best to at lest spend the first couple years at a cheap school your diploma will only have the name of the school you graduated form. Though if you want to get laid and party out your best bet is the University in your home state:) Though you mite not get vary good grades if you do that:)
Hehe :lolflag:

sure its only second hand feed back but its from a very good friend and a very technology literate person, but to be honest some ITT schools are rated higher than others, the one here in buffalo ((technically its in getzville)) is rated really low, the work staff is horrible and disinterested. i dont see the point in going to a private school past 12th grade anyways, its usually alot higher priced and theres usually a nationally rated school somewhere close by, for CS you could goto ITT here for 5500$ /semester as an instate student, or you could goto SUNY buffalo which is ranked in the top 50 CS programs nationwide for 2175$ /semester as an instate student. there is logic to this gripe
Ok well that might explain it. I guess people's experiences would vary from location to locations seeing how they have so many they're all different. :)

madjr
June 1st, 2008, 08:47 PM
get an A+ or Linux+ certification

http://certification.comptia.org/default.aspx

mustang
June 1st, 2008, 10:24 PM
Don't worry about whether a school is windows oriented or not; you're there for the concepts, not the tools.

Forget ITT and/or certifications. Go to a local community college and see if you can transfer to a 4 your university with a major of your choice (CS, CE, EE, etc).