PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] General trends in stability- What do you think??

bcn17
June 1st, 2008, 04:01 AM
So I have been using ubuntu faithfully since 7.10 released and haven't looked back to windows -except when I need too.. ;)
I am happier than ever with 8.04 and have started getting more adventurous trying out new Desktop Environments. My main question is when is a release actually stable? Or is this totally dependent on the release. I know that the kubuntu kde 4.0.4 is "stable" but it sure isn't stable for me. Is there a certain number x.x.9 or x.1.0 or x.2.0 that signifies a certain amount of stability or would you generally say releases become 90% of stability 3 months after there release- Or 50% after 1 month or what? I downloaded 8.04 beta 5 when i still had 7.10 and decided that even close to finished beta's arn't very stable at all- however when it was released as stable it worked great on the release day. Not the same with kde 4 though.. What do you think?

ladr0n
June 1st, 2008, 04:20 AM
To answer your main question: It depends.
Version numbers mean nothing, except in context to the other version numbers of the same piece of software. KDE 4 won't be stable on most systems for a while (version 4.1 at least); it's essentially in tech demo phase. However, I know a guy who has had a KDE 4 system for a while now and hasn't had any problems with it. Betas are obviously going to be less stable than final releases, but final releases don't necessarily get more stable as version numbers increase. Increasing version numbers often mean new features, which could in turn cause stability issues. If you want a bullet-proof system, stick with what you know works and don't tweak too much (that lesson took me a couple years of distro-hopping to learn :))

bcn17
June 3rd, 2008, 07:13 AM
but installing a new OS is so much fun! :)