PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Update from 6.06 to 8.04

Roger Steiner
June 1st, 2008, 03:34 AM
After successful installs on my other computers, I went to upgrade my wife's computer from 6.06 tp 8.04. After reading all the update issues, I down loaded and burned a CD for Alternate i386.

I am about half way through the process and now receive the following error message:

"E: /cdrom//pool/main/o/openoffice.org/python-uno_2.4.0-3ubuntu6_i386.deb: subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1

What is happening and how do I fix it?

My other updates were from 7.10 and went without a hitch.

Roger

cmnorton
June 4th, 2008, 08:46 PM
From my experience, your best bet is to perform a full installation to 8.04. I tried going from 6.10 to 7.10 via 7.04. It was a disaster. I wound up performing a fresh 7.10 install.

avtolle
June 4th, 2008, 08:51 PM
From the error message you posted, it looks like a problem with installing openoffice.org. Not sure how to recover from it. One suggestion is to check the CD you are using for errors; another would be to reburn the iso at a slow speed (4x) using a CD-R, as I've a feeling that there's a problem with the CD.

Roger Steiner
June 6th, 2008, 08:24 AM
It appears that I will have to do a complete install. This computer is also an XP dual boot. If I copy the home directory to an external drive, can I copy the files back after the install?

Thanks for your assistance.

Roger

Sef
June 6th, 2008, 08:45 AM
It appears that I will have to do a complete install. This computer is also an XP dual boot. If I copy the home directory to an external drive, can I copy the files back after the install?

Yes, back up your hard drive to an external. You will not need to reformat the home partition. Just reformat the Ubuntu partition. You should not need to use the back up, but it will be good to have it.