PDA

View Full Version : Why Ubuntu has a lot of update everyday

evertsfnic
June 1st, 2008, 01:24 AM
Hi, i just want know why ubuntu has many updates every couple of days.

Like for example. I donwload ubuntu 7 days ago, now i have in
my update basket like 120 megabyte, i don't like to update 120 ,megabyte every 5 or 7 days, my internet it's not as fat as in the united state , i live in nicaragua.......
:popcorn::popcorn:

Joeb454
June 1st, 2008, 01:26 AM
You don't have to update. And check the repo's you have enabled in System > Administration > Software Sources :)

You'll find you don't actually get that many updates after the initial load :)

mistakenidentity
June 1st, 2008, 04:16 AM
Problem is it's a new version... that's just the way it is when software first comes out. The number of different computer specs goes up, bugs get found, bugs get fixed... I'd wager it'll be like this for the next few weeks.

evertsfnic
June 2nd, 2008, 05:54 AM
hi, i don't want to sound bad, but if and OS has a lot of updates everyday i don't feel like it's a good one, for example,
Ubuntu 8.04 support 4 years i think that's a great idea, becouse it make fell like there is somebody watching the OS.
But i don't like updates everyday....

dasunst3r
June 2nd, 2008, 06:00 AM
To put things into another perspective, you are seeing a lot of updates because the people who are writing the programs actually care and actually have a great amount of passion in the things they do. To this end, they fix every bug they can find before someone can even exploit it. Heck, if you are inclined, you can contribute to the development process! There are indeed people watching... watching for bugs or anything that could go wrong, and they fix it before it becomes a Code Red or something like that.

When harnessed correctly, passion can take you quite far, my friend. :)

buntu_Geek
June 2nd, 2008, 06:04 AM
Probably you have to wait for a month or two before installing the new release... you can manage with the older version....

BTW,
Think about the developers... they have very large scale of hardwares around the globe....

Think about each type of hardwares.... like printers, usb, graphics cards...

Each category of devices have its own list of companies that have their own specs...

Think about the wide vision of satisfying all those hardwares...

Suppose you have a problem...
That can be solved by the developing team only..
if the distro u r using in ubunu.. voila.. you have it solved the next..( i bet ya!!)

Suppose you have other distro with less activity...
you have no other go of stop using that application...

Calixte
June 2nd, 2008, 06:05 AM
On the contrary, the number of updates show that the OS has god support. There are not more updates in Ubuntu than in Vista (just an example picked in the lot :wink:), they just come faster. In Windows, updates come in Service Packs several months after the initial release; in Ubuntu, they're available in just days.

Mr. Picklesworth
June 2nd, 2008, 06:58 AM
Out of curiousity, how did you receive Ubuntu in the first place? (Mailed disk or a download?).

Hardy Heron (Ubuntu 8.04) will have four point releases during its existence (http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/146). The first one is July 3rd. For those point releases, the CD images are updated so that fresh installs will be completely up to date.

One reason you may have a lot of updates right now is because you have installed the operating system a while into the first point release. After one update, it should be reasonably caught up so such large downloads needn't happen again.

Also, check out System -> Administration -> Software Sources, under the Updates tab. (The middle section). You will see there that you can toggle Recommended, Important and Unsupported updates. I highly recommend leaving security updates turned on. "Recommended updates" are definitely handy because they involve fixes to system stability, but are not really as important.

As for why there are lots of updates, the reason is because bugs wait for nobody. Unlike the proprietary competition, our release managers realize that. Fixes get released as they happen, rather than waiting until it is "convenient" for the accountants and share holders.

Methuselah
June 2nd, 2008, 07:10 AM
Yeah, I like seeing updates, it means people are working on it.
Still, I can understand how one might not want to download too many updates if he's on a slow connection.

Bubba64
June 2nd, 2008, 07:17 AM
Updates Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood. The geeks are working hard.

Wim Sturkenboom
June 2nd, 2008, 07:25 AM
I run Dapper Drake and hardly have any updates nowadays (although it's still supported).

I've found that updates of OpenOffice usually are very big.

RiceMonster
June 2nd, 2008, 07:28 AM
When hardy had been out for around a week, people were complaining that there was no updates. Now people are complaining that there is too many? However, the OP does have a valid complaint with a poor internet connection.

chris4585
June 2nd, 2008, 08:10 AM
I'm waiting for Hardy to become more stable before I even install it. But right now I'm barely getting any updates on Gutsy.

d.kusummmanth@gmail.com
June 2nd, 2008, 08:36 AM
Out of curiousity, how did you receive Ubuntu in the first place? (Mailed disk or a download?).

Hardy Heron (Ubuntu 8.04) will have four point releases during its existence (http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/146). The first one is July 3rd. For those point releases, the CD images are updated so that fresh installs will be completely up to date.

One reason you may have a lot of updates right now is because you have installed the operating system a while into the first point release. After one update, it should be reasonably caught up so such large downloads needn't happen again.

Also, check out System -> Administration -> Software Sources, under the Updates tab. (The middle section). You will see there that you can toggle Recommended, Important and Unsupported updates. I highly recommend leaving security updates turned on. "Recommended updates" are definitely handy because they involve fixes to system stability, but are not really as important.

As for why there are lots of updates, the reason is because bugs wait for nobody. Unlike the proprietary competition, our release managers realize that. Fixes get released as they happen, rather than waiting until it is "convenient" for the accountants and share holders.
interesting. i never knew this!!!! thx for the info

PartisanEntity
June 2nd, 2008, 10:08 AM
hi, i don't want to sound bad, but if and OS has a lot of updates everyday i don't feel like it's a good one, for example,
Ubuntu 8.04 support 4 years i think that's a great idea, becouse it make fell like there is somebody watching the OS.
But i don't like updates everyday....

You should be very happy that bugs are updated so often and so fast, but you seem to be new to Ubuntu and so I can assure you there will not be updates every day, only from time to time, and most of the time the updates will be much smaller.

billgoldberg
June 2nd, 2008, 10:10 AM
I like updates.

The more updates the better.

But if you are on dail-up that could be a problem.

Once you get the updates from the first few weeks, others shouldn't be bigger than a few mb.

A7med
February 28th, 2010, 09:39 PM
It's 2010 and it sill updates a lot . Why aren't the updates uploaded monthly or weekly . It's annoying the way it is now .

Artificial Intelligence
February 28th, 2010, 09:42 PM
It's 2010 and it sill updates a lot . Why aren't the updates uploaded monthly or weekly . It's annoying the way it is now .

Then update every month or week as you see fit. If you're annoyed with the popup, disable it.

MCVenom
February 28th, 2010, 09:54 PM
You know what? Screw updates! Let's all get Aurora'd by hackers! :D

Seriously, I like the amount and frequency of updates. Makes me feel like I won't be 1337 h4x0rm4573rd because of some trivial exploit... Like what happened to Google and hundreds of other companies ;)

juancarlospaco
February 28th, 2010, 10:25 PM
I.E. Windows have a lot of Mb of Updates once a week.

But all pirated Windows dont have it enabled because it blocks the pirated Windows,
so never see it.

undecim
February 28th, 2010, 10:29 PM
If you don't like the updates, you can just install security updates only.

If you have more than one computer on your network, you should consider setting something like apt-cacher up on one of them. That way you only have to download each update once, but it can go to any computer on your network.

Also, uninstall packages you don't need so that they won't get included in your updates. There's no point to getting a security update for firefox if you always use epiphany to browse the web.

Uncle Spellbinder
February 28th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Resurrecting an 18 month old thread?

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 28th, 2010, 10:32 PM
You are getting updates for more than the OS. You are getting updates for every application you installed from the repositories. That include your OS, email app, browser app, multi-media apps, and so on. You can set it to only notify you of security updates.

The OSS community actively tries to remove as many exploits as soon as possible.

RabbitWho
February 28th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Some people have to pay for every megabyte they download, so I'm glad it's an option!

Sef
February 28th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Resurrecting an 18 month old thread?

Closed for necromancing.