PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] [SOLVED] Dolphin -v- Nautilus

kshane
May 31st, 2008, 11:05 PM
I recently switched to the KDE4 desktop manager and I am thrilled with it! :guitar:

But, I don't like Dolphin at all and would like to use Nautilus, instead. Is this possible?

Thanks!

Kevin

helino
May 31st, 2008, 11:18 PM
I don't know if you can use Nautilus, but another alternative is to Konqueror, which works as a filebrowser as well as a webbrowser.

Another lightweight option might be Thunar, the default filemanager in XFCE.

Tomatz
May 31st, 2008, 11:36 PM
I recently switched to the KDE4 desktop manager and I am thrilled with it! :guitar:

But, I don't like Dolphin at all and would like to use Nautilus, instead. Is this possible?

Thanks!

Kevin

Ugh Don't get me started on dolphin.

It has so much potential but like the rest of kde it lacks the finishing touches.

Tomatz
May 31st, 2008, 11:46 PM
I don't know if you can use Nautilus, but another alternative is to Konqueror, which works as a filebrowser as well as a webbrowser.

Another lightweight option might be Thunar, the default filemanager in XFCE.

Nautilus would be slow in kde as it is written in gtk and so is thunar (i think). There is also rox-filer which is also written in gtk2 but is very lightweight so it would still be quick.

Gtk apps look really fugly under kde by the way. Konquror is nice but a bit heavy for my liking.

Dolphin it is then :(

x1a4
May 31st, 2008, 11:49 PM
Hi,

There's no reason not to use Nautilus (unless you have a problem having GNOME libraries) as long as you run it with the --no-desktop option. Otherwise it'll kill kdesk (KDE's desktop) and run gnome-desktop (GNOME's desktop).

kshane
June 2nd, 2008, 01:07 AM
Hi,

There's no reason not to use Nautilus (unless you have a problem having GNOME libraries) as long as you run it with the --no-desktop option. Otherwise it'll kill kdesk (KDE's desktop) and run gnome-desktop (GNOME's desktop).

Ah! Thank you!!!

I was unaware of being able to use a switch! Too, cool! :guitar:

It works great and was my only remaining complaint with KDE4...

Thanks again!

Kevin