PDA

View Full Version : what would be the fastest way to learn unix?

Lord Xeb
May 31st, 2008, 10:07 PM
I want to learn unix so i got a book on it. Is there an easier way?

jgrabham
May 31st, 2008, 10:21 PM
I want to learn unix so i got a book on it. Is there an easier way?

Erm, thats a somewhat vague question - what exactly do you want to know, just be able to memorise commands - because you pretty much just pick that up over time using *nix systems. What book is it?

FuturePilot
May 31st, 2008, 10:27 PM
I don't think there is an "easy" way. I don't think there would be an "easy" way to learn any new OS.

The best way though, in my opinion, is experiment. Learn from mistakes, find easier ways to do things, discover new things. Just play around with the system and eventually it will catch on. ;)

damis648
May 31st, 2008, 10:29 PM
I don't think there is an "easy" way. I don't think there would be an "easy" way to learn any new OS.

The best way though, in my opinion, is experiment. Learn from mistakes, find easier ways to do things, discover new things. Just play around with the system and eventually it will catch on. ;)

Or crash. But he is right. I did not know much about *nix when i started using linux, but as i experimented, i found out alot.

mostwanted
May 31st, 2008, 10:29 PM
http://linuxcommand.org is a fantastic site that takes you from complete newbie to script master if you go all the way. You don't have to, of course :-)

Lord Xeb
May 31st, 2008, 11:11 PM
I have a book called Unix in 24 hours. I like linuxcommand.org better ^_^ thanks

Mateo
May 31st, 2008, 11:15 PM
Kidnap someone who is already good at unix and force him/her by torture of Happy Days reruns to teach you everything he/she knows.

SunnyRabbiera
May 31st, 2008, 11:36 PM
Well usually the best way to learn unix is to use a unix like system...
Linux, BSD, OSX and Solaris are all good places to start.
The closest one to a true unix is BSD, its a good place to start if you want the full hardcore unix experience as its the best you can get without paying a single cent.
Even apple OSX is a good place to learn unix, as it too shares commonalities with BSD.
Linux itself is another way to learn unix, it shares a lot of commonalities with unix and it can teach you the bases.

cookieofdoom
June 1st, 2008, 12:38 AM
kidnap Someone Who Is Already Good At Unix And Force Him/her By Torture Of Happy Days Reruns To Teach You Everything He/she Knows.

+1

Barrucadu
June 1st, 2008, 01:30 AM
Learn by doing, pick a more do-it-yourself distro and build it up to do what you want, it will teach you quite a bit about which components do what.

Iandefor
June 1st, 2008, 02:21 AM
Nuke your HD (after making backups, obviously!) and install a BSD along with the documentation.

Learning is much easier when you can't just boot into something easier.