PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] AGP video card recommendation wanted (please help)

wires
May 31st, 2008, 07:03 PM
I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 on a Dell Optiplex GX270. I'd like to know which low-profile AGP 3.0 video card is known to be auto-detected or easy to manually configure. Posting a configured xorg.conf would be ideal. I've tried 2 of my own, but I couldn't get them to work correctly. All help is appreciated. Thank you.

helino
May 31st, 2008, 11:21 PM
What cards have you tried?

All Nvidia cards are fairly easy to use, it's only to install the restricted driver. ATI shouldn't be a problem either if you don't want to make heavy use of 3D-applications such as games and Compiz-Fusion.

wires
June 1st, 2008, 05:19 AM
I've tried several ATI cards, most recently the Radeon 128 ultra. I could get it to display in 1024X768 but I needed to pan around because the desktop was larger than the monitor. I'd buy a newer card, but I'm trying to verify that it will work before I pay for one. That's why I'm asking for the names of a few that people have working already.

helino
June 2nd, 2008, 07:43 PM
It's very rare to find someone that has a problem with a Nvidia card. I'm using a Nvidia 7600GS, and it works perfect. I would recommend you to buy a lowbudget Nvidia card, it should work, although I can't swear :)