PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy books?

MONODA
May 31st, 2008, 06:59 PM
I dont buy my books from a local store since all most of the book stores where I live only sell french or arabic books. Instead I buy them online from abebooks.com it is great for books that are out of print, they are really cheap and usually deliver internationally (even though that can get expensive). I have purchased V for vendetta and A clcokwork orange from there, both for only one dollar, they both arrived on time and in great condition. recently I have been wanting to buy some linux books and checked the site but all they had were outdated copie or so copy at all so I have been checking out Oreilly's website (wow are they expensive compared to abebooks!) So where and how do you by your books? you do read right?
EDIT: I wish I could buy off of ebay but almost all items dont ship outside the US and the ones that do require you to pay via paypal which I cant use since I live in lebanon.
EDIT2: btw are there any Oreilly resellers that ship internationally?

uraldinho
May 31st, 2008, 08:10 PM
Have you ever considered purchasing e-books? Some books are available in pdf format. The book you are looking for may not be available in electronic format, but it's something to consider.

I've just had a look at O'Reilly's website and some of the books are available in pdf format directly through their own website.

MONODA
May 31st, 2008, 08:17 PM
cool thanks, I think Ill check it out.

NikoC
May 31st, 2008, 08:18 PM
amazon.co.uk
Often used ones! I live in Belgium so .uk is the easiest for me...

CloudFX
May 31st, 2008, 08:25 PM
I generally only borrow books from the library, but on occasion I will get one from Chapters.

popch
May 31st, 2008, 08:28 PM
Usually at the bookshop. My sister in law owns one, but I only buy books in German from her. At times, I also order them at the local (national) internet shop.

LaRoza
May 31st, 2008, 09:14 PM
Amazon.com (used and new), Borders.

CloudFX
June 1st, 2008, 12:20 AM
Yea, I also get some books from Amazon... I got the Official Ubuntu Book from there! I've found that Amazon suits me better when I get several books, instead of just one.

jgrabham
June 1st, 2008, 12:33 AM
Ebay second hand usually.
Also Occasionally Borders or Waterstones, or occasionally oxfam.

I dont mind second hand books (being a teenager always short of cash, second hand is usually a plus) but I HATE borrowing books, I don't know why, I'll lend books to my friends as well, but I just prefer reading when it belongs to me.

And as for e-books - I cant stand to read that much from a screen - I mean, I'll sit meddling with command lines for 14 hours straight, and how-tos or even news pages and slashdot are great, but I can't concentrate on a novel etc from a scrren.

banjobacon
June 1st, 2008, 12:42 AM
Besides buying used from Amazon, Half.com and Abebooks, I also use Bookmooch.com, a book trading site. You get credits for sending books out and use that credit to mooch books off other people. There's no trading fee, just the cost of mailing the book. A lot of people won't ship internationally, but many do. It's a good way of getting rid of books you won't read anymore and getting free books in return.

amingv
June 1st, 2008, 12:48 AM
+1 for Amazon, you can find virtually anything and the relation price/quality is hard to beat, plus you can preview some books to make it more bookstore-like.
If I want to surf through some (physical) books and check what's new (which is rare) I go to a Barnes & Noble bookstore (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/).

Kingsley
June 1st, 2008, 12:53 AM
I usually don't buy books for personal reading. For those, I borrow from my sister or download ebooks.

amingv
June 1st, 2008, 01:01 AM
I usually don't buy books for personal reading. For those, I borrow from my sister or download ebooks.

You have to pay to download e-books (unless they're free material), so I guess it counts as the same.

Mateo
June 1st, 2008, 02:32 AM
Amazon Kindle store.

For stuff not there, bookfinder.com is great for used books. You can find ex-library copies of most stuff dirt, dirt cheap. I'm talking good quality hardbacks for 3 or 4 dollars.

jespdj
June 1st, 2008, 03:24 AM
Amazon.co.uk (Amazon in the UK). For some strange reason, there's no Amazon in the Netherlands (there is in the UK and in Germany, countries surrounding us).

There's also a big local bookstore (http://www.selexyz.nl/pages/products/S2/seldonnercontentpage.aspx) where I sometimes buy books.