PDA

View Full Version : Looking for new laptop, help please.

RayneStorm
May 31st, 2008, 04:25 PM
I am looking at purchasing a new laptop to use the majority of the time in place of my desk top. I will still use desktop for bigger tasks and chores. I dual boot Ubuntu and XP now, but find myself never using XP.

I want a 15" screen.

I am looking for AMD turion 64 X2. I have always had AMD so I decided I want to stick with them, unless someone can point out huge reasons to choose Intel instead.

I would want a good graphics card, I prefer ATI, but it is hard finding a laptop that uses both AMD and ATI together. I found a couple, but the price jump isn't worth it. So I found a NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS 256MB as being the best choice for this size laptop.

I plan on mostly using the laptop for internet use, downloading songs, playing some older games, some light video and photo editing, and that's mostly it.

Is there a huge difference in wireless cards between g and n? I will be connecting wirelessly to a router. I will be around 1.5m for speed with my internet connection.

I will post a couple laptops that I found, and would like some input on what would be a better choice for me and if there is any problems that I might run into while installing ubuntu and getting things tweaked to work correctly.

first is a HP. Price is great, and I will be buying 4gb memory to install after I receive it... they want way to much for them to put it in.
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/load_configuration.do?destination=review&email_id=320479&jumpid=in_r329_emailconfig

Second is an MSI. I would upgrade to the TL-60 and 250 gb hd. total price would then be 899 with shipping, but this one uses the ATI video card I preferred. I never heard of MSI either so I wasn't sure what to think.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290233224849&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:1123

Last one which I didn't look too much into, was an ASUS. anyone know of how well a similar set up ASUS would suit me?

Thank you for your help!

Ben

Joeb454
May 31st, 2008, 04:29 PM
Nvidia card's a probably the way to go with Linux at the minute :)

Also why did you put the URL's in PHP tags? :confused:

Sam Lars
May 31st, 2008, 04:46 PM
I've heard that wireless N kills battery life. Unless you really need the speed or range, I wouldn't recommend it.
And, at least for me, the eBay listing doesn't have enough info.

RayneStorm
May 31st, 2008, 06:57 PM
So it looks like I should downgrade from the wireless n card to the just the b/g. And the HP dv6700z with the Nvidia card seems to be better with ubuntu currently over the ATI card.

Now, I haven't heard anything stating I should take intel over AMD, as much research as I have done, they seem to be comparable. AMD is a little more power hungry is about all I could come up with. Being that it is 64 bit, is ubuntu 64 bit running better than 32 bit or should I stick to the 32 bit when I install... Last time I read awhile ago, that the 64 bit wasn't overly stable yet. I've been running ubuntu for little over a year, but I'm not overly proficient in tweaking things to make them work... You guys here have helped me a lot in that area, so if 64 bit needs lots a tweaking and care over 32 bit for just a little performance gain, I can hang out with 32 bit for awhile!!

thanks,
Ben

athaki
May 31st, 2008, 07:26 PM
So it looks like I should downgrade from the wireless n card to the just the b/g. And the HP dv6700z with the Nvidia card seems to be better with ubuntu currently over the ATI card.

Now, I haven't heard anything stating I should take intel over AMD, as much research as I have done, they seem to be comparable. AMD is a little more power hungry is about all I could come up with. Being that it is 64 bit, is ubuntu 64 bit running better than 32 bit or should I stick to the 32 bit when I install... Last time I read awhile ago, that the 64 bit wasn't overly stable yet. I've been running ubuntu for little over a year, but I'm not overly proficient in tweaking things to make them work... You guys here have helped me a lot in that area, so if 64 bit needs lots a tweaking and care over 32 bit for just a little performance gain, I can hang out with 32 bit for awhile!!

thanks,
Ben

64-bit Ubuntu is working fine at this end. No complaints or hiccups as of yet.

agurk
May 31st, 2008, 07:56 PM
RayneStorm: beware, HPs are known to be infested with Broadcom and Atheros wireless chipsets which, like the plague, are to be avoided.

RayneStorm
May 31st, 2008, 07:59 PM
How do I find out what wireless chipset is being used in my potential laptop?

Ben

agurk
May 31st, 2008, 08:09 PM
You try to find technical specs, e.g. by googling the maker and model name.

agurk
May 31st, 2008, 08:19 PM
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01295877.pdf

Looks like the AMD models come with Broadcom wifi (bad), and the Intel ones come with Intel wifi (good). I'd say that's a pretty strong incentive to go Intel.

CloudFX
May 31st, 2008, 08:35 PM
I'd promote a Dell Inspiron. There pretty worthwhile, and have very good support with Ubuntu.

athaki
May 31st, 2008, 08:40 PM
The only problem with an Inspiron is that their power cables and connectors are fairly flimsy. After only three years my Inspiron 6000 is a 4lb paperweight since it can no longer charge the battery or receive power from the cord. Dell, however, might have implemented changes since 2005 which would have increased the life of their power supplies. They do, however, have very solid support for Ubuntu.

agurk
May 31st, 2008, 09:01 PM
I can't seem to find any detailed tech spec for the MSI GX610, nor any useful forum posts from Ubuntu users (which is most rare, I must say). Advice: steer clear of this one.

cookieofdoom
May 31st, 2008, 10:45 PM
Thinkpads offer some of the best Linux support I've ever seen. Dell is catching up (my Dad's Inspiron 1700something is now capable of Compiz and standby, ati x1400), but Lenovo support and prices are hard to beat.

I just got a Thinkpad and I'm extremely pleased with it.