PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Installing older kubuntu packages in newer ubuntu installation.

redr
May 31st, 2008, 01:33 PM
I have got cds of ubuntu 7.10 and kubuntu 6.06.
I have ubuntu 7.10 installed on my system. I dont have broadbad connection so I can't download and install kubuntu 7.10 packages from repos. Now, I want to install some kde tools/packages. Is it possible to use that kubuntu 6.06 cd as a repository?
I tried by adding that CD using 'apt-cdrom add'. Apparently it got added in sources.list. But whenever I search for any kde packages, it says 'Couldn't find package'. When I tried using synaptic and listing packages using origin, Kubuntu 6.06.1/main has only few packages like g++, gcc, linux kernel headers . No kpdf, kwrite and other packages could be found.

Please help.
Thanks

bwhite82
May 31st, 2008, 02:50 PM
redr,

Thats because your kubuntu CD is probably a LiveCD which doesn't contain packages per-se, but rather an image that gets copied to your HD when you install. In order to use a CD as a repo, you usually have to use an 'Alternate installer' cd.

redr
May 31st, 2008, 06:37 PM
thanks soldireboy.
is there anyway to use that image to install packages?
something like coping files from live environment to hard disk.
problem is how to select required files and their respective locations?

bwhite82
June 1st, 2008, 02:07 AM
Its probably possible somehow but I'm sorry I do not know the answer to that one. I think it would be a huge pain to do so. You don't have a connection at all?

redr
June 1st, 2008, 08:48 AM
I realize it's a pain to copy those files.
It seems better option is to download packages.
Anyway,
Thanks for your response.

zvacet
June 1st, 2008, 10:03 AM
If you can use broadband somewhere else you can do it with nonetdebs. (http://nonetdebs.unixpod.com/)