PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] When Partitioning during installation only shows up 2 options

D.Sync
May 31st, 2008, 09:34 AM
Hi there, I am just a fresh new user for Linux OS System and I decided to choose Ubuntu after any other kernel system.

I had downloaded Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (couldnt' figure out what LTS means) and burn it onto a CD.

However, there's a problem when I tried to Install Ubuntu onto my Acer Aspire 5920G Laptop Computer. Whenever the installation reaches the partitioning option (step 4 I think), it only shows 2 option, which is [Guided Mode - Use this entire disk completely]&[Manual Setup]. I had found guides by googl'ing the internet and most guide stated there should be 3 options which one of them is friendly user which only requires user to drag the bar according to the user needs for the disc space for Ubuntu.

I had installed Ubuntu on my another desktop beforehand and it does shows up the 3 options aforementioned.

Solution: You probably already have 4 primary partition. Just delete a partition, restart your computer, and the option for [Guided Mode - Resize partition] will occur the next time you install from Ubuntu LIVE CD! :)

Sef
May 31st, 2008, 09:51 AM
I had downloaded Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (couldnt' figure out what LTS means) and burn it onto a CD.

LTS = Long Term Support. For the desktop you have 3 years of support and 5 years on the server. Normally for both, it is 18 months.

I had installed Ubuntu on my another desktop beforehand and it does shows up the 3 options aforementioned.

Is this the same cd? In any case, Run check disc for error. (Below the intall/boot option.)

Stefanie
May 31st, 2008, 09:57 AM
i had the same problem, if you're using windows right now you have to boot into windows and make sure chkdsk runs when you reboot (in xp you have to right-click your c-drivein my computer, then select one of the tabs and click "check this drive for errors" or something like that).

D.Sync
May 31st, 2008, 10:08 AM
LTS = Long Term Support. For the desktop you have 3 years of support and 5 years on the server. Normally for both, it is 18 months.

Is this the same cd? In any case, Run check disc for error. (Below the intall/boot option.)

Ya, it's the same CD. So I need to run chkdsk for it to detect?

Stefanie
May 31st, 2008, 10:14 AM
no, you need to run chkdsk to correct errors on your c-drive. the ubuntu installer can't resize the partition when there are errors, you see.

D.Sync
May 31st, 2008, 12:08 PM
I already run chkdsk and it found no problem at all. Just wonder how come it only shows up 2 options instead of 4 options when I installed it on my P4 3.0 GHZ desktop.

azizzle
June 1st, 2008, 04:25 AM
I can't resize either my windows or my other ubuntu partition. I tried reinstalling ubuntu from an already dual boot. When the partition editor on the livecd stalled i restarted my computer. Now I can't resize either partition. I ran chkdsk on windows, but still I can't resize it. How do I check my ubuntu partition?

D.Sync
June 1st, 2008, 04:32 AM
After trial and error I finally found the solution!

If you can't see the option for 'Guided Mode - Resize partition', then you probably already have 4 primary partition, hence Ubuntu cannot resize it.

To solve this problem, just delete a partition which you didn't want to use any more (should be >5GB since you might love Ubuntu), restart your computer, then run the installation from Ubuntu LIVE CD again. Then voila! The option does exist!