PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Abiword Doesn't Work After Software Update

shinkaide
May 31st, 2008, 04:39 AM
Not really sure which section I should put this in, so...

Just wanted to know if anybody else has experienced this? After a few software updates, Abiword stopped working. It would load the splash screen, and then the main program window would appear for about a split second before the program crashes and disappears.

I tried uninstalling the program, running the software update again, and then reinstalling Abiword after some new updates came out (in hopes of maybe getting a fix or something, I don't really know). But it still doesn't work.

As of now, I still have it installed on my system but it's non-functional... I'm running 8.04 with all the current updates installed.

Help please?

Sam Lars
May 31st, 2008, 05:29 PM
If you run abiword from a terminal, what happens?

shinkaide
May 31st, 2008, 09:28 PM
If you run abiword from a terminal, what happens?

Well, pretty much the same thing: the splash screen loads, Abiword's main program window becomes visible for a split second, and then disappears completely.

The only difference being the terminal output says "Aborted". Nothing much going on there...

Sam Lars
June 6th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Can you try downloading from the Abiword site and testing that version?

shinkaide
June 9th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Ah, that fixed it! Got so used to the default repositories I just kept waiting for updates that might fix the problem.

Thanks much! :D