PDA

View Full Version : All about ubuntu

arinlares
May 31st, 2008, 02:43 AM
Obviously, i am new to Ubuntu, but have been fiddling with Damn Small linux for about a month (using Qemu, really slow, and can't work it right). I don't have a computer I can use Ubuntu on, and I can't use Wubi (did on accident, though, long story). So, until I can get my own laptop to "screw up" (as my mom said), i figure I can look into Ubuntu. I currently have Windows XP, and in time will get a laptop or two (i'll figure it out). Basically, i want to know how it compares to Windows. I used the live cd/wubi thingy, and kinda liked it, really clean and pretty. I don't know much besides that, and was hoping to find more out. (i just want to know about Windows/Linux compatability, music, multimedia, stuff like that, as well as school-related stuff for whenever I go to college).

abhiroopb
May 31st, 2008, 03:41 AM
Well I mainly use a computer for 4 things: word documents, internet (chatting, web, downloading, torrents, skype, basic stuff), media (music, videos, pictures), and the occassional game. I can do all of this easily enough in ubuntu so I feel it depends on you're needs. If you give a list of programs that you will have to use or that you use in windows I'll tell you what the possible alternatives are in ubuntu. But its really hard to say whether it'll be appropriate for you or not.

See this:
http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

Lord Xeb
May 31st, 2008, 04:29 AM
I have been using Ubunutu since January, and I love it. There are so many different workarounds for Window-to-ubuntu things. I have used OpenOffice.org and Abiword for my Office stuff. Pidgin is wonderful. Amarok can be used for media, same for VLC (It can play almost any format you can think of). There are some many alternatives out there that there is bound to be something you like/use. So far, I have fallen in love with linux. If you love Macs, you will enjoy Linux.

arinlares
May 31st, 2008, 05:35 AM
If you give a list of programs that you will have to use or that you use in windows I'll tell you what the possible alternatives are in ubuntu. But its really hard to say whether it'll be appropriate for you or not.

See this:
http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

i use game emulators (snes, n64, nes), some games like RollerCoaster Tycoon 1/3, starcraft, as well as internet (i already use firefox). My interest in Ubuntu is more like "WOW! user generated content!" I've heard of Wine, i believe that would handle some of my games, but I am mostly curious about pursuing Ubuntu as an operating system, and just learning about this (it's really hard to explain). I think i just like the whole experience. things like bash, and the many, many differences between Windows and Linux are what i find attractive about Linux.

also, abhiroopb, i'm currently reading the link, and know that Linux is not windows. i went into DSL thinking it was, until i had to unsuccessfully try to bash (i believe that is it) a program to run it.

inportb
May 31st, 2008, 05:39 AM
Console emulation on Ubuntu/Linux is pretty decent. For SNES, I use zsnes; for N64, I use mupen64plus; for NES, I use fceu.

You can check appdb.winehq.org for Wine compatibility.

arinlares
May 31st, 2008, 05:50 AM
Console emulation on Ubuntu/Linux is pretty decent. For SNES, I use zsnes; for N64, I use mupen64plus; for NES, I use fceu.

You can check appdb.winehq.org for Wine compatibility.

yeah, i've heard of people emulating on Linux. i use zsnes myself on XP (no ubuntu for a while, yet, just doing research.)

madjr
May 31st, 2008, 08:42 AM
what was the problem with Wubi?

giving us some feedback s the best thing you can do :)

arinlares
May 31st, 2008, 08:49 PM
what was the problem with Wubi?

giving us some feedback s the best thing you can do :)

it isn't a problem, merely an annoyance. I was trying to boot the live CD (didn't work with the BIOS), so I ran the CD in Windows. Unknown to me (at the moment), it was installing a Live-CD based Wubi (needs the CD to run Ubuntu). I uninstalled the "mini-Wubi," and am prompted to select between Windows XP Home Edition or the Windows Recovery Console. I asked about a fix in the Wubi section, and can't perform the fix because I can't find the line of code to be taken out in the document. I don't hate Wubi or anything, i was just really frustrated all week about it. (the 10 minutes I spent in Ubuntu was well worth it, but due to the fact that this is a family computer, I can't keep Ubuntu/Wubi on the computer).

madjr
June 1st, 2008, 10:18 AM
it isn't a problem, merely an annoyance. I was trying to boot the live CD (didn't work with the BIOS), so I ran the CD in Windows. Unknown to me (at the moment), it was installing a Live-CD based Wubi (needs the CD to run Ubuntu). I uninstalled the "mini-Wubi," and am prompted to select between Windows XP Home Edition or the Windows Recovery Console. I asked about a fix in the Wubi section, and can't perform the fix because I can't find the line of code to be taken out in the document. I don't hate Wubi or anything, i was just really frustrated all week about it. (the 10 minutes I spent in Ubuntu was well worth it, but due to the fact that this is a family computer, I can't keep Ubuntu/Wubi on the computer).

too bad you couldn't install ubuntu on that computer.

the family PC at my home i got ubuntu installed.

who's the one in charge of fixing the PC at your house?

anyway, the "annoyance" was due to the interruption of the installation.

If you reinstall it again you could fix it easily.

Anyway, it doesn't sound to me as a "family PC". It's more like your moms PC. You don't have a choice to what you can use.

anyway, if you say you need it for research and as a learning tool (other than an OS, that's what we use it for) they might re-consider letting u install it ;)

arinlares
June 3rd, 2008, 05:29 AM
well, i went to the wubi forum on this site, and got a bunch of help. Wubi wasn't interrupted, i think, because I saw the install as it happened, as well as the uninstall, and it went smoothly. So far as learning tools go, I have been trying Damn Small Linux on Qemu, but can't get the VHD to work. The boot manager thing is pretty much gone when i turn my monitor on after turning on my computer, so it is no problem. I generally fix computer issues at home, by the way. Can this go back to topic now? (no offense, but i've done THIS already).

mac143_01
June 3rd, 2008, 07:15 AM
Ubuntu is a great OS I learn many things about its features from the questions I posted...

arinlares
June 4th, 2008, 05:20 AM
i figure my thread is general enough.

what is the difference between beryl and compiz (besides the fact that compiz is packed with ubuntu)? Do they both work with Wubi (running only one)?

one of many more technical questions about ubuntu.

bufsabre666
June 4th, 2008, 05:23 AM
beryl was a fork of compiz, they however have remerged, and are now reffered to as compiz fusion