PDA

View Full Version : WoW I am inpressed ;)

EMCGFX
May 30th, 2008, 10:52 PM
11,395 @ May 30th, 2008 Whoohoo :guitar: Ubuntu getting more and more popular each day. Look at Fedora for example, you need to download 6cds O_O I personally like Ubuntu's 1-CD-R install. Don't get me wrong Fedora is nice linux distro too, but come on. Can those guys create 1cd install like for example, Fedora Core 9 (GNOME) 1cd. I love using different linux distros. Its all about choice. But the reason I did not use Debian on my other box, is because you need to download lots of cds to install Desktop version. I know that there is net-intall for both distros but, its not for everyone ;)

Anyways, just my dozen cents :lolflag:

miggols99
May 30th, 2008, 11:28 PM
11,395 @ May 30th, 2008 Whoohoo :guitar: Ubuntu getting more and more popular each day. Look at Fedora for example, you need to download 6cds O_O I personally like Ubuntu's 1-CD-R install. Don't get me wrong Fedora is nice linux distro too, but come on. Can those guys create 1cd install like for example, Fedora Core 9 (GNOME) 1cd. I love using different linux distros. Its all about choice. But the reason I did not use Debian on my other box, is because you need to download lots of cds to install Desktop version. I know that there is net-intall for both distros but, its not for everyone ;)

Anyways, just my dozen cents :lolflag:
Uh...Debian has a Gnome CD, a KDE CD and an Xfce CD. You don't need to download every single CD. That's for the people that don't have internet access - they can use the CDs as the repositories.

Also Fedora has a live CD for Gnome and another for KDE, except the 64bit versions don't fit on a CD unfortunately.

I remember when I first started using Linux and I burned 3 Fedora 6 (I LOVED that DNA theme. It looked so amazing! Their artwork certainly hasn't gone downhill at all ;)) CDs (that was the minimum) and it failed..then I found Ubuntu - it was Edgy at that time. It was my favourite :D

EMCGFX
May 30th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Yeah, that what I used to due. Before I found Ubuntu =D

drcranium
May 31st, 2008, 12:00 AM
I prefer floppies. CD-R's are sooooo overrated.

EMCGFX
May 31st, 2008, 12:01 AM

AGREED :lolflag:

ibuclaw
May 31st, 2008, 12:10 AM
Floppies? meh!, You can never fit anything on them!

I install all my distros with 1GB DAT tapes! :D

Turn on my Cisco System, Check my UPS is on and working, and away we go!

nick09
May 31st, 2008, 12:10 AM

I rather not use floppies because they are obsolete, might not be produced very much(low demand), and the floppies I have seen only hold 1.14MB.

swoll1980
May 31st, 2008, 02:26 AM
I rather not use floppies because they are obsolete, might not be produced very much(low demand), and the floppies I have seen only hold 1.14MB.

And they're expensive for $10 I could get 25 floppies or 50 cdr

EMCGFX
May 31st, 2008, 03:05 AM
@tinivole, LOL, I havent heard of DAT tapes in long time ;) I bet it takes a week just to install your os. hehe

@nick09, LOL

@swoll1980, LOL

Lord Xeb
May 31st, 2008, 04:34 AM
Floppies? meh!, You can never fit anything on them!

I install all my distros with 1GB DAT tapes! :D

Turn on my Cisco System, Check my UPS is on and working, and away we go!

Meh, Floppies, CD-R, and DAT are overrated. USB is the way to go <_< >_> Once your done, reformat and start all over. Also, it works a little faster than CDs and floppies

quanumphaze
May 31st, 2008, 06:08 AM
You kids have no respect.

Back in my day, we had to use punch cards made of stone slabs.

EMCGFX
May 31st, 2008, 08:20 AM
You kids have no respect.

Back in my day, we had to use punch cards made of stone slabs.

:lolflag:

jrusso2
May 31st, 2008, 08:26 AM
You have not had any fun until you tried to install Slackware from a big box of floppys that you had to use rawrite to create each one.

d.kusummmanth@gmail.com
May 31st, 2008, 09:22 AM
AGREED :lolflag:
well what makes u prefer floppies as compared to Cd's??? Annd u say that CD's are overrated!!!!

EMCGFX
May 31st, 2008, 10:14 AM
Hehe ;) I guess so.

Zlatan
May 31st, 2008, 11:00 AM
well what makes u prefer floppies as compared to Cd's??? Annd u say that CD's are overrated!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humour

jgrabham
May 31st, 2008, 11:06 AM

a bit OT, but they seem to get corrupted, a lot of mine certainly are after I tried them after years of sitting in a box in the corner...

Oh, and I prefer CentOS to Fedora :)

EMCGFX
June 1st, 2008, 02:35 AM
http://www.canadianpc.com/product/1920.jpg
I've just remembered that I have this BigFoot hard drive that 3gb, its bigger then regular hard drive 2x LOL I keep it for fun, will probably donate it to local computer museum.