PDA

View Full Version : Brazil & India object the OOXML-isofication

hyper_ch
May 30th, 2008, 06:51 PM
India and Brazil have filed appeals against the adoption of the Microsoft-sponsored Office Open XML (OOXML) document format as an international standard.

Their appeals join one from South Africa, filed last Friday with the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) and the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC), the two standardization bodies responsible for the technical committee which approved the OOXML standard.

"By the deadline last night, we had received three appeals, from Brazil, India and South Africa," said Jonathan Buck, spokesman for IEC.

Full article: http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/146468/india_and_brazil_file_appeals_against_ooxml_standa rdization.html

LaRoza
May 30th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Full article: http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/146468/india_and_brazil_file_appeals_against_ooxml_standa rdization.html

LaRoza would also file if I were a nation.

insane_alien
May 30th, 2008, 07:41 PM
good stuff. we need more countries with balls.

madjr
May 30th, 2008, 09:13 PM
South Africa was the first country t0 file

i wander if it has anything to do with.... errr you know who.

Ub1476
May 30th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Well, news said that the Shuttleworth foundation support South-Africa for their choice though. But, if I remember correctly, only two appeals were needed for OOXML to say bye, bye.

Now we have three.

Bakon Jarser
May 30th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Well, news said that the Shuttleworth foundation support South-Africa for their choice though. But, if I remember correctly, only two appeals were needed for OOXML to say bye, bye.

Now we have three.

Brazil didn't appeal, they objected. Apparently it's a big difference.

Ub1476
May 30th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Brazil didn't appeal, they objected. Apparently it's a big difference.

Oh, misread my feed reader. Thanks for the info:)

plun
May 30th, 2008, 10:18 PM
LaRoza would also file if I were a nation.

Well... its a lot of "whining" but a little work with Open Office.

At least in my country...

Maybe its time to go "upstream" and really work with O-O :confused:

hyper_ch
May 30th, 2008, 10:49 PM
as far as I get from the article it's three appeals now.

Bakon Jarser
May 31st, 2008, 01:16 AM
as far as I get from the article it's three appeals now.

Looks like the article I read earlier got it wrong. Brazil really did appeal. That makes 3! Hopefully this pseudo-standard will die a fiery death!:)