PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't boot my windows CD/DVD

mikkel13
May 30th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Hi
I have ubuntu 7.10 installed, and like it.
But I also need windows, so I want to dual boot between my ubutnu, and Vista or XP.
I am following the tutorail: http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_linux_is_already_ installed.htm , and it goes find untill I get to the part were I boot from the Vista DVD... my PC don't want to boot from the DVD???
Well, then I had tried with a XP-cd, but still, it won't boot??
Why can't I boot from a CD/DVD???

please help... thank you...

*I have my BIOS-setup right - CD/DVD as 1st boot, hardd. as 2nd.
**Sorry for my english...

lukydude
May 30th, 2008, 06:57 PM
you have to install xp before ubuntu and dual booting with vista often causes several problmems also when it comes to partitioning i reccommended making a live cd of gparted.

Pumalite
May 30th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Did you make a partition formatted ntfs to install Vista?

mikkel13
May 31st, 2008, 09:12 AM
Firts I made 250 gb space on the arddisk without any partion, and made my partion with ubuntu to 50 60 gb, but it didn't work.
Then I tried to make the 250 gb free space to ntfs, and I could see the partion in ubuntu beside my ubuntu partion on 60 gb, but still it won't boot from the CD/DVD.
Do I really have to install windows before ubuntu?.. I don't want to reinstall my ubuntu :(

Sef
May 31st, 2008, 09:56 AM
Do I really have to install windows before ubuntu?.. I don't want to reinstall my ubuntu

No you don't. What will happen is that you can only boot into XP. To install GRUB again, I would use Super GRUB Boot Disk (http://www.supergrubdisk.org/).

mikkel13
May 31st, 2008, 02:17 PM
OK, also what I understandet from the tutorial I followed...
So now the problem still is: why can't I boot from a windows CD/DVD?, but it works fine with the ubuntu live-cd... :S

mikkel13
June 3rd, 2008, 04:29 PM
Problem is solved...
For some reson, my computer didn't want to boot vista-dvd...
But I gut it to install xp from the xp-cd...
Thanks for help :D