PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] gdm seems to ignore /etc/gdm/Init/Default

akira666
May 30th, 2008, 06:01 PM
I'm having an issue where gdm seems to not execute /etc/gdm/Init/Default. The file has execute permissions, but doesnt seem to do anything. Specifically I am trying to start synergy for the login screen, but no go. I have it working after login no problem.

I tried putting a 'touch /tmp/bleh' in the Default, and that never seems to get executed.

I'm running the latest 8.04.

Thanks for any help,
-Tom

akira666
June 1st, 2008, 10:22 AM
No one has any ideas eh?

sdennie
June 1st, 2008, 11:19 AM
Have you tried putting things in /etc/gdm/Xsession? Putting a simple "touch /tmp/itworked" there works fine after a Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.

akira666
June 2nd, 2008, 03:56 AM
It seems to pickup stuff in Xsession, unfortunately I need it for the login screen :|

sdennie
June 2nd, 2008, 04:09 AM
I'm not sure what synergy is or exactly what you are trying to do but, you could make an init script that starts your command before gdm (assuming synergy doesn't depend on $DISPLAY) or, even more brute force, edit /etc/init.d/gdm and start your command before gdm is started. There may be a more elegant solution but, I'm not aware of it.

akira666
June 2nd, 2008, 04:56 AM
Synergy is a program that lets you share mouse+kb from one "server" pc with other "clients" over a network. I have it working once logged in, but to be really effective it would of course need to work for the login screen as well! It does need the x server to attach to, so the first option may not work, but I will look into changing /etc/init.d/gdm, that might be an option.

Thanks for the ideas!

akira666
June 3rd, 2008, 06:20 AM
I fixed it... I switched to kdm ;)

alibaba163
June 14th, 2010, 01:50 PM
hello,
I want to do similar thing. I have a remote control (desktop control) application where the Client has to be available at login screen so that the server can connect to it.

Can you please tell me what you do after switching to kdm desktop(kde desktop environment) ??? do u imply switching to kde desktop environment or you imply switching to kdm as a display manager for gnome environment???

Your help would be appreciated

Regards,

alibaba