PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 64bit AMD and Intel computers

mike_a
May 30th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Went to look at the download procedures for making my own DVD and have a question. This is the option I get on the download page…

What type of computer do you have?
'Standard personal computer (x86 architecture, PentiumTM, CeleronTM, AthlonTM, SempronTM)'
or
'64bit AMD and Intel computers'

So I pick the second option of '64bit AMD and Intel computers' because the new machine (parts on way) will have an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale, and it will sit on a 'GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel' mobo. All 64 bit supporting architecture.

The thing is, I let the download process go right up to the last step before I stop and the download file is called...

ubuntu-8.04-desktop-amd64.iso

There is no mention of an Intel CPU in the download title.
Is this just an over sight in the title, or am I at the wrong distribution for an Intel 64?

mike_a

wolfen69
May 30th, 2008, 05:54 PM
if you are using regular ubuntu, you want the one for standard personal computer. it does not matter if you have a 64bit cpu. it only matters if the OS is 64bit.

Fire_Chief
May 30th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Wolfen69 is right, use the standard image for your desktop. It will run plenty fast and you'll have broader compatibility with applications and fewer issues on the desktop.

On a side note, the amd64 image works on both Intel and AMD 64-bit chips. It is named that way because the 64-bit architecture that AMD designed is the dominant version used in the industry. Intel had a different version that did not succeed well in the marketplace so they adopted/became compatible with the amd 64-bit architecture.

Pumalite
May 30th, 2008, 06:12 PM
I prefer the 64 bit in a Core 2 Duo. It's ultrafast and no problems whatsoever to this date.

jheaton5
September 1st, 2008, 03:39 PM
Does the 64bit version of ubuntu support intel wireless technology. The 32bit version does not.

Joel

Bucky Ball
September 1st, 2008, 03:42 PM
Mike a, you will also find that there is no AMD 32 bit, just i386 which covers both amd and intel bases. Just the way it is. I use the 64bit and it rocks. You can run 32bit apps on it anyhow, some may need a little tweaking but no biggie. If you have the grunt, why not use it?