PDA

View Full Version : Yeah! Spend £800 on LCD TVs, why not?

tom66
May 30th, 2008, 04:53 PM
This REALLY annoys me.

I go to a school in the UK. Not saying which, but they've recently added 3 Plasma/LCD TVs (widescreen, fairly large). Now, I know for a fact that these are £800-£1,000 here. Why? WHY? They've got a classroom of antiquated 500-700mhz PCs with 800x600 screens which DESPERATELY need an upgrade, so instead of spending £3,000 on some fancy TVs for displaying public information, spend it on some new computers... anything but some flashy TVs!

Has anyone else experienced this?

meep_meep
May 30th, 2008, 05:54 PM
yeah, I know the feeling. They did that at my school when I was there.

Its a problem with how the schools are budgeted

When they are given money, it comes strict conditions like you're only allowed to spend it in such and such way.

Its probable that for your school, it was either have 3 plasmas or nothing at all. You cant carry money over from one year to the next and you cant choose to save money in one area to spend it in another.

It sucks, the government doesn't give enough power to the schools, so money is wasted. Sad I know.

(I'm assuming that you go to a state school)

tom66
May 30th, 2008, 06:02 PM
I think it's a state school, but it's probably different in the UK. I know it's not private.

Barrucadu
May 30th, 2008, 06:07 PM
My school is fairly good in that area, spending money on mostly sensible things. Then again, I go to a private school. I know for a fact the IT services people have the largest budget in the school by quite a large margin.

uraldinho
May 30th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Welcome to real life!!!

Polygon
May 30th, 2008, 07:16 PM
a similiar thing happened to my school. The school board approved a purchase of 'shade structures' that cost a quarter of a million dollars and were supposed to provide shade. Too bad that the shade structures are actually filled with holes so they provide NO shade whatsoever. Even the principal at the time says it was a huge waste of money. Yay school board.

insane_alien
May 30th, 2008, 07:44 PM
now IIRC the heaviest(computationally) thing i done in highschool, that was part of a class, was a powerpoint presentation.

this would not require an upgrade with the specs you posted.

of course, everybody always went and played flash games but thats not really the intended purpose of the computers.

Tomatz
May 30th, 2008, 07:51 PM
This REALLY annoys me.

I go to a school in the UK. Not saying which, but they've recently added 3 Plasma/LCD TVs (widescreen, fairly large). Now, I know for a fact that these are £800-£1,000 here. Why? WHY? They've got a classroom of antiquated 500-700mhz PCs with 800x600 screens which DESPERATELY need an upgrade, so instead of spending £3,000 on some fancy TVs for displaying public information, spend it on some new computers... anything but some flashy TVs!

Has anyone else experienced this?

You have just had your first taste of gordons world ;)

I mean lets spend billions on the olympics while the nhs is rotting!

Welcome to gordons world.

:lolflag:

tom66
May 31st, 2008, 10:16 AM
We tend to do Flash and Dreamweaver, which work fine, but they take about 5-10 mins to start up. Ugh!

Plus, I'd rather we had some bigger screens, maybe 1024x768, because the other IT room has got some huge ones.

Tomatz
May 31st, 2008, 10:28 AM
We tend to do Flash and Dreamweaver, which work fine, but they take about 5-10 mins to start up. Ugh!

Plus, I'd rather we had some bigger screens, maybe 1024x768, because the other IT room has got some huge ones.

Think yourself lucky. In my day all we had were acorn Archimedes running riscos :(

Didn't even have no Internet but you could do some cool things with them like turn your mates computer off over the network with one little app.

:lolflag: