PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Black Screen when using "Switch User" 7.10

DaddyHoggy
May 30th, 2008, 03:33 PM
My first posting - apologies if this is covered elsewhere - though I did search the forum first and didn't come across my specific problem...

I'm a previous user of Fiesty and never had any issues so I've built a new machine and installed 7.10 and this is my second day and my first issue.

The machine has two user accounts myself and my wife.

If I log on as me all is well.

If my wife logs on all is well.

If I log on as me or she logs in and then we try the "Switch User" option the machine goes to the username-> password screens and then when you hit return the screen goes black and stays black. There is some disk activity and I can still "use" the keyboard (i.e. num/caps lock works) but the only way I can get back to a usable machine is to do CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE which takes me back to the password screen of the user I've just tried to switch from.

Any thoughts?

I'd supply file details if that's any help, and if I knew how - as I never had any issues with Fiesty I never learned to do any fiddling.

My machine is as follows:

Up to date Ubuntu 7.10
Gnome 2.20.0
Nvidia restricted drivers (I play Oolite, Urban Terror 4.1) but I don't have any fancy screen stuff turned on in either account

Hardware:

ASUS nvidia NF2 mobo
Leadtek Winfast 128MB FX5900XT
(using onboard c-media sound, realtek NICs)

Any help/thoughts much appreciated if any other details would help just ask!

Cheers,

DaddyHoggy