PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't install Hardy on Intel D945GCLF

giedz
May 30th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Hi all,

I've got new Intel board and can't install Hardy. There is something wrong with udevd and switches me to busybox. The strangest thing is that Gutsy works quite OK and there is now such problem at all. I know this board model is pretty new but any can point me out what to do regarding Hardy?

Thanks,
Marcin

Pumalite
May 30th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Post your specs

happycube
June 4th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Hi all,

I've got new Intel board and can't install Hardy. There is something wrong with udevd and switches me to busybox. The strangest thing is that Gutsy works quite OK and there is now such problem at all. I know this board model is pretty new but any can point me out what to do regarding Hardy?

Thanks,
Marcin

There's a bug in the rtl8169 driver in the 32-bit build. You can either turn off LAN in the bios and put another card in, or install the 64-bit version, depending on your tastes and if you have something better to put in the PCI slot.

Yes, it's rather weird that intel put a realtek LAN chip when they have far superior ones, but this board is all about cost reduction without resorting to cheap capacitors and such... and unlike their previous SIS-based mini-ITX board the graphics actually works properly OOTB, complete with compiz. ;)

edit: i actually just tried the amd64 version and unlike what i read the LAN still does not work, alas. I'm just gonna shove an e100 card in my computer.

millhill
June 7th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Is this the same problem as reported here and if so can it be fixed the same way?
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/223656

kogz
June 16th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Hi guys,

I'm thinking 'bout ITX solution. D945GCLF sounds good for me. My question is - do you have lots of trouble with Ubuntu 8.04 working on D945GCLF?

giedz
June 20th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Seems like last kernel update to 2.6.24-19-generic fixes the problem.

giedz
June 20th, 2008, 03:47 PM
kogz - you can wait for Hardy update install late July (8.04.1) or install 7.10 then do dist-upgrade. What's all ;) Have fun

kogz
June 21st, 2008, 06:40 PM
kogz - you can wait for Hardy update install late July (8.04.1) or install 7.10 then do dist-upgrade. What's all ;) Have fun

Thanks. I know that. I can also download daily snapshot. ;]

But, I'm just wondering are there any other problems with ubuntu under this platform.

Thanks. :]

glutamate
June 23rd, 2008, 04:25 PM
I have just installed Ubuntu Hardy daily-live (8.04.1 from 20-Jun-2008 ) and everything works. (Not so for xubuntu 8.04.1 daily...) Gutsy also works.

kogz
June 23rd, 2008, 04:26 PM
I have just installed Ubuntu Hardy daily-live (8.04.1 from 20-Jun-2008 ) and everything works. (Not so for xubuntu 8.04.1 daily...) Gutsy also works.

Good to hear that! Thanks.

kogz
June 28th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Well..

I have a problem. I've just installed Ubuntu Server 8.04.1 from daily snapshots. Under installation stage there was network connectivity. DHCP worked. After installation, after I booted my fresh operating system, network doesn't work. DHCP and STATIC, both are not working..

Still searching for a solution..

//UPDATE:

Network from Recovery Mode works...... I don't get it...

//UPDATE:

Nah.. From Recovery Mode it was working only once.... Strange.

Dr John
July 4th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I installed from this ISO,

30-Jun-2008 22:01 699M Alternate install CD for PC (Intel x86) computers (standard download)

and I was able to get past the network problems. However, it seems as if the display driver is not working correctly. I've tried fixing it, but it seems to revert to the VESA mode and a maximum resolution of 1024 x 768 or the like.

Ubuntu Hardy still needs work to run properly on this board. :(

dabone
July 23rd, 2008, 10:03 PM
I just installed it, had to do a little trick.
First I disabled the internal nic and added a intel gigabit I had laying around.
Did the install then rebooted, installed all the current updates.
On the next reboot I enabled the onboard nic, and after 8.04 booted it was seen.
Then I shutdown and removed the intel nic, rebooted and surfed the net.

Cute board.

I hope to sell alot of them.

(Also looking forward to the flycreek..

Later,
dabone

kogz
July 23rd, 2008, 10:07 PM
Well..

I have a problem. I've just installed Ubuntu Server 8.04.1 from daily snapshots. Under installation stage there was network connectivity. DHCP worked. After installation, after I booted my fresh operating system, network doesn't work. DHCP and STATIC, both are not working..

Still searching for a solution..

//UPDATE:

Network from Recovery Mode works...... I don't get it...

//UPDATE:

Nah.. From Recovery Mode it was working only once.... Strange.
BTW: Here is my solution: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5382164&postcount=10

brecke
July 24th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Hey guys,

I bought this board and i cant't even boot it. I am using a usb stick to install the latest ubuntu release and it just says "boot error." No description, no nothing.

Can someone please help me with this? What can i do to skip this?
thanks in advance,

_ brk

kogz
July 24th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Hey guys,

I bought this board and i cant't even boot it. I am using a usb stick to install the latest ubuntu release and it just says "boot error." No description, no nothing.

Can someone please help me with this? What can i do to skip this?
thanks in advance,

_ brk

Be sure your USB stick is bootable. And check boot priority in BIOS.

brecke
July 24th, 2008, 11:03 PM
I am following instructions on https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick and using UNetbootin to "build" the bootable stick. However, no luck. Still the "boot error" message...

The strange thing is, using the same pen on my desktop works fine, so this must be a mini-itx specific thing.

Also, the priority in BIOS is set to boot usb devices first.

No clue on this one. Any help, please?

Frumpco
September 29th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I am having the same issue with not being able to boot off USB thumb drive. I have followed the instructions set the BIOS to boot from USB, set USB to boot first, it sees it in the bios but just will not go

Pumalite
September 29th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Check this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789528&highlight=Herman

Frumpco
September 30th, 2008, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the link.. its not an issue with the USB drive since it is able to boot off other machines..

Edit
I just created a DOS boot USB and that works so must be something with that make or isntall of the thumb drive will try again

Edit#2
Redid my thumbdrive manually from http://www.penlinux.com and still having boot issues. It does boot of a CD with Ubuntu but just not off a USB drive

Pumalite
September 30th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Maybe your BIOS does not allow you to boot from USB.

Frumpco
September 30th, 2008, 10:04 AM
I am able to boot off a USB key that has DOS/WIN98boot disk on it NP so it is possible. I can boot off the Ubuntu live USB key on a different computer

C.S.Cameron
September 30th, 2008, 05:39 PM
I have 8.04 working great on a D945GCLF.
Flash boots fine, but is recognized as another hard disk in BIOS.
Forget it though, Intel has just released the D945GCLF2.
This mITX board has a dual-core Atom and S-video.
Not sure yet how well GMA 950, S-video and Ubuntu mix though.

Frumpco
September 30th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Got it to work.
Changed the USB setting to Fixed Disk and is able to boot off the USB Key

dankuoni
March 13th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Thank you very much! :D

Had the same problem. After changing "USB Mass Storage Emulation Type" to "All Fixed Discs" everything works.
Does anyone know what that actually means ?

*dankuoni