PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Customizing the top taskbar

K.Morgan
May 30th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Hi, i'm looking at customizing my top taskbar in Ubuntu Hardy. I currently have all applications that i need quick access to in the center of my taskbar as just normal static one click icons which is fine but looks a bit boring.

Are there any desktop effects programs that spice up this taskbar? I've tried Cairo dock but it seems to include all the open programs too which i don't want as i still have the bottom taskbar for that. I just need something similar to that but as an application launcher similar to what's available on the Mac but on the top taskbar.

Hope this makes sense

Kristian

yen223
May 31st, 2008, 03:14 AM
For Cairo-dock, you can prevent open programs from appearing in the dock by
- Right click the dock and go to Cairo-dock>Configure
- Switch to Easy mode and uncheck the "Show current applications in the dock" checkbox

K.Morgan
May 31st, 2008, 11:16 PM
Thanks I've tried cairo-dock but didn't like it. I was looking for something that integrated with the top gnome panel instead of having something separate. There doesn't appear to be anything as of yet. Maybe in a future version of gnome they will have animated icons in the the top panel.

yen223
June 1st, 2008, 08:10 AM
You could also try the Gimmie applet; but if there's any desktop effects program for the taskbar I also would like to see it :)