PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Sticky user permissions and ownership

Jaded Phoenix
May 30th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Hi everybody!

I created a folder (say, '/media/shared') and set up permissions as follows: user - nobody; group - nogroup; permissions - 777.

Now I need to make these permissions 'sticky'. That is: any file or folder copied or moved here should belong to nobody/nogroup, whoever copied or moved it, and never mind the initial permissions.

Is it possible? How can I do it?

hyper_ch
May 30th, 2008, 12:04 PM
run a cronjob that alters the ownership and file permissions

chrisccoulson
May 30th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Use ACL's (Access Control Lists). You'll need to specify the 'acl' mount option in your fstab for them to work though.

sudo setfacl -R -m d:u::rwX /media/shared
sudo setfacl -R -m u::rwX /media/shared
sudo setfacl -R -m d:g::rwX /media/shared
sudo setfacl -R -m g::rwX /media/shared
sudo setfacl -R -m d:o::rwX /media/shared
sudo setfacl -R -m o::rwX /media/shared

This sets the permissions on all the current files to rwX for user, group and other, and also sets the default permissions for newly created files to rwX for user, group and other

Jaded Phoenix
May 31st, 2008, 06:34 PM
Thanks all!
But still... The problem isn't solved:

1) Run a cron? How often? Once per second? Or maybe 1000 times a second? I think you understand it's definitely not a solution.

2) ACL... Thanks! I didn't know... still, the very same results would be if I set the permissions as 6777 (mainly, the 'sticky' bit is essential): all new files will belong to the group 'nogroup', only the owner will change the permissions, and so on.

But still. If I create a file in my home folder and move it into /media/shared, the file still belongs to me!

The only solution I found so far is to make a separate partition for /media/shared, format it as NTFS, and adjust permissions options in /etc/fstab.

Can anyone provide a better solution?

chrisccoulson
May 31st, 2008, 06:59 PM
Thanks all!
But still... The problem isn't solved:

1) Run a cron? How often? Once per second? Or maybe 1000 times a second? I think you understand it's definitely not a solution.

2) ACL... Thanks! I didn't know... still, the very same results would be if I set the permissions as 6777 (mainly, the 'sticky' bit is essential): all new files will belong to the group 'nogroup', only the owner will change the permissions, and so on.

But still. If I create a file in my home folder and move it into /media/shared, the file still belongs to me!

The only solution I found so far is to make a separate partition for /media/shared, format it as NTFS, and adjust permissions options in /etc/fstab.

Can anyone provide a better solution?

You've misunderstood what the sticky bit does. It won't mean that all newly created files within that folder will inherit permissions of the parent. When the sticky bit is set on a folder, it means that a user can't rename, modify or delete other users files in that folder, even if they have write permissions to the folder. The sticky bit is used primarily for shared areas where you want all users to be able to write to but not tamper with files that have been created by other users (it is used on /tmp for instance).

Have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sticky_bit

Jaded Phoenix
July 24th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Thanks a lot for the explanation.
Still using that buggy ntfs partition yet...

Thank you all anyway

hyper_ch
July 25th, 2008, 07:26 AM
crons can be exectued max. once every minute