PDA

View Full Version : I need help with Folding@Home

XVII
May 30th, 2008, 01:48 AM
I have searched, but have been unable to find a Live CD with Folding@Home installed on it. I have an old computer on which I would like to run this CD. Does anyone know of a Live CD like this?

Tundro Walker
May 30th, 2008, 02:48 AM
http://www.teamhackaday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=712

I found this on my first google search. There's also a couple other stand-alone bootables folks have worked on. I think some guy on Source Forge made a very stripped down one.

I had a little 400mhz comp that didn't have an HD. I booted it from a regular Ubuntu live cd, and used a flash stick wireless "card" for internet connection and a flash stick storage device to store the folding@home files. It was fun to let it go for a couple of months to see what it could do. Sadly, it only racked up 15 pts per project (if at that), and completed one only every 3-4 days. I decided to decom the little sucker when the last project it was working on was going to take about a month to do. Plus, the heat the thing was generating from always being on was getting annoying. But still, it was a fun side project.

XVII
May 30th, 2008, 03:25 AM
http://www.teamhackaday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=712

I found this on my first google search. There's also a couple other stand-alone bootables folks have worked on. I think some guy on Source Forge made a very stripped down one.

I had a little 400mhz comp that didn't have an HD. I booted it from a regular Ubuntu live cd, and used a flash stick wireless "card" for internet connection and a flash stick storage device to store the folding@home files. It was fun to let it go for a couple of months to see what it could do. Sadly, it only racked up 15 pts per project (if at that), and completed one only every 3-4 days. I decided to decom the little sucker when the last project it was working on was going to take about a month to do. Plus, the heat the thing was generating from always being on was getting annoying. But still, it was a fun side project.

I found that too, but I didn't think that it looked legit. Can you vouch for it?