PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Nautilus Configuration Question

cha0s
May 29th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Hey there. I was wondering if there was some way in Nautilus to emulate Windows' "list" view.

I can arrange settings so it looks pretty close, by having text on the side, and shrinking the icon sizes. This looks horrible when the names are too long though.

Windows arranges its icons vertically in list view instead of horizontally like Nautilus seems to. I would apreciate it very much if someone would tell me how to do this.

If it isn't possible, I'd like to submit a feature request for this (and could be pointed to where I would do that?) because it is a much more efficient way to use space, imo. It's more natural to read left to right, at least being an English speaker... and arranging them vertically allows you to read much more data in one pass than if they're horizontal, as well as ensuring the text doesn't get crammed, because the columns resize to the length of the icon text, automatically.

EDIT: It might have seemed confusing, but I'm not talking about Nautilus' "list view", I'm talking about "Icon view". Nautilus' list view is actually more like Windows' "details" view.

renfrew
May 29th, 2008, 09:23 PM
While you're in Nautilus, try pressing Control and "2". Nautilius does have a list view of it's own, very similar to Windows Explorer's list view.

I'm at work now and not on a linux box, but (from memory) if you look under edit/preferences I think you'll find that you can customize the columns and the order in which they are shown.

I'll post again later when I get home with more detailed instructions

cha0s
May 29th, 2008, 10:15 PM
While you're in Nautilus, try pressing Control and "2". Nautilius does have a list view of it's own, very similar to Windows Explorer's list view.

I'm at work now and not on a linux box, but (from memory) if you look under edit/preferences I think you'll find that you can customize the columns and the order in which they are shown.

I'll post again later when I get home with more detailed instructions

Control+2 is Nautilus' list view, which is actually more like Windows' Detail view. It arranges them vertically, which is good, but only one single column, even if I turn off all the details except 'name'.

What I want is vertical columns of icons, sized automatically by the length of the text next to each icon, largest in column would be the column width... Just like good ol' Windows.

renfrew
May 29th, 2008, 11:32 PM
You're absolutely right mate, I thought you were asking about Nautilus' "list" view. That's what I get for trolling at work where I've only got access to windows (at least without booting a live cd lol). Sorry I wasn't much help, I'm not aware of anything close to windows "list" view, only the "detail" view-like mode that is Nautilus' "list" view.

You may want to go ahead and submit that feature request, good luck in your search :)

geoken
May 30th, 2008, 12:38 AM
I think you're talking about this; http://blogs.gnome.org/cneumair/2008/02/17/new-column-wise-nautilus-view-user-data-backup-replay/

If so, it's already scheduled to be in the next version of natilus which should be out in september. Until then, you only option is to use Thunar, which already has this view (you could try dolphin as well if you're willing to use a KDE app).

cha0s
May 30th, 2008, 03:57 AM
Yeah actually I installed kubuntu-desktop cause I remember KDE handled this correctly, and I'm actually very satisfied with it on the whole. I've dropped gnome now.