PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Should I upgrade from 7.10 non-LTS to 8.04 LTS ?

Levure
May 29th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Hello !

I'm currently running Kubuntu 7.10.

After every packages updates, Adept notifies me that I can upgrade to 8.04 LTS.

But if I upgrade to 8.04 LTS, I won't be able to upgrade again since LTS is a special stable edition ?

As far as I know, non-LTS Ubuntu edition are more often updated than LTS Ubuntu editions. Am I misunderstanding something ?

So... Should I upgrade to 8.04 or not ?

Thanks in advance for your advices !

Slim Odds
May 29th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Once again, for the acronymically challenged, LTS means LONG TERM SUPPORT.

It has nothing to do with "super stable" or anything else.

Just Long Term Support. It will be supported for a LONG TIME.

So upgrade or not. Whatever you like.

Oh, and one other thing.... kubuntu is NOT LTS... only ubuntu

sleepingdragon
May 29th, 2008, 08:44 PM
As Slim points out, it's up to you whether you upgrade or not. For my part, 8.04LTS has given me some decent improvements (as you would expect), and it's certainly worth looking at. However, you may wish to consider doing a clean install rather than an upgrade. I had problems with the upgrade path, but my clean install was smooth and performance is excellent.

Which ever way you decide to go, backup your data (/home/yourname). Good luck!

Levure
May 29th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Once again, for the acronymically challenged, LTS means LONG TERM SUPPORT.

It has nothing to do with "super stable" or anything else.

Just Long Term Support. It will be supported for a LONG TIME.

So upgrade or not. Whatever you like.

Oh, and one other thing.... kubuntu is NOT LTS... only ubuntu

Hello Slim Odds,

I'm sorry If I hurted you, it was not intended. :-/

I was only asking a question to know if the upgrade will be as often as I have on Kubuntu 7.10.

I know that LTS is LONG TERM SUPPORT, but I also known that LTS means lesser software upgrades. That is why I was asking that.

MaindotC
May 29th, 2008, 08:51 PM
but I also known that LTS means lesser software upgrades.

What in the name of whatever are you talking about?? Who told you this? It's LINUX, NOT ******* - you can upgrade or downgrade whatever you want and the operating system is free to modify at your whim. You can even learn to write your own patches and fixes so you don't have to rely on others to do work for you.

Slim Odds
May 29th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Hello Slim Odds,

I'm sorry If I hurted you, it was not intended. :-/

I was only asking a question to know if the upgrade will be as often as I have on Kubuntu 7.10.

I know that LTS is LONG TERM SUPPORT, but I also known that LTS means lesser software upgrades. That is why I was asking that.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound rude.

But this is such a simple concept that everyone seems to get all twisted around. Long Term Support means just that. It doesn't mean less updates (updates done to fix important bugs just like any other release). The difference is that there is a commitment to ........ wait for it ...... Long Term Support. :)

And in the release (8.04) only Ubuntu is LTS (not Kubuntu).

zaomaster
May 29th, 2008, 09:08 PM
So, I'm not entirely sure why several of you feel the need to reply in a condescending manner. One quick look to see where Levure is from (Belgium), shining light on the reason that his English is not 100% fluent (that is not to say that it is bad, because I can't say anything about that. I know one foreign language, and that poorly.), and explain some of the misunderstandings.

The thing I've always loved about Linux, and Ubuntu particularly, it the communal/relational aspect of it. Let's keep that going and forget flaming each other.

[edit] - slim odds, you beat me to the punch. thanks. :)