PDA

View Full Version : Two high-profile Mandriva reviews

AdamWill
May 29th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Well, I hate to blow our own trumpet - actually, that's a lie, I love doing it, and they pay me for it, neat, eh? - but a couple of high-profile sites reviewed 2008 Spring in the last couple of days:

Linux.com (http://www.linux.com/articles/135862)
ZDnet (http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/os/0,1000001099,39425181,00.htm)

Both pretty good reviews, I'd say :)

SomeGuyDude
May 30th, 2008, 06:06 PM
I've got the One disc sitting on standby right now. Trying to decide if I want to make the switchover from Hardy. I loved Madriva's last iteration, but it REALLY bugged out whenever I tried to shut down.

karellen
May 30th, 2008, 08:46 PM
nothing unexpected. from my point of view it deserves all the positive thoughts

wolfen69
May 31st, 2008, 03:37 AM
I've got the One disc sitting on standby right now. Trying to decide if I want to make the switchover from Hardy. I loved Madriva's last iteration, but it REALLY bugged out whenever I tried to shut down.

no distro is perfect, and no distro works on all machines. find what works for you.

hey adam, thanks for spending time over here to keep this forum humming along.

jrusso2
May 31st, 2008, 05:12 AM
I have to agree the last two Mandriva releases have renewed my faith in them. Good work. Some how they even got pulse audio to work well.

SunnyRabbiera
May 31st, 2008, 05:50 AM
I have to agree the last two Mandriva releases have renewed my faith in them. Good work. Some how they even got pulse audio to work well.

Yeh something is really going good over at mandriva, I hope all future versions are just as good.

SomeGuyDude
June 1st, 2008, 07:03 PM
no distro is perfect, and no distro works on all machines. find what works for you.

hey adam, thanks for spending time over here to keep this forum humming along.

Maybe Mandriva's even MORE perfect! :)

I loved the LiveCD once I got it rolling, just need to get used to KDE 3.5 and their package manager.

athaki
June 2nd, 2008, 12:24 AM
Would the community say that Mandriva is a very sold KDE Operating System? I am considering checking it out but I always like feedback from the community.

tdrusk
June 2nd, 2008, 12:35 AM
On my computer it was stable but kind of slow. I think it's kind of bloated, but it does everything needed.

athaki
June 2nd, 2008, 12:53 AM
My computer is a 2.8GHZ Pentium D with 2GB of RAM and an Nvidia 8400 GS so I think it might run Mandriva fairly well.

dca
June 2nd, 2008, 03:24 PM
Mandriva 2008.0 & .1 (both Gnome & KDE) are as good as if not better than any iteration of Ubuntu. I still think Mandriva needs to do more on their marketing side to get word out. I mean, in the US (which I thought would never happen, I thought RH would put an end to that) there's data centers installing Ubuntu on some servers. Don't here much on anyone using Mandriva.

anshuljain
June 3rd, 2008, 06:43 AM
Would the community say that Mandriva is a very sold KDE Operating System? I am considering checking it out but I always like feedback from the community.

Its actually the best KDE, alongwith Suse, without the bloat that comes alongwith Suse. It has all the apps that you need, very very stable and the MCC is as always very good :) In addition, they're right on the bleeding edge with tracking the KDE4 releases. Mandriva alongwith Suse has the maximum number of KDE developers on their payroll.

-Anshul

karellen
June 3rd, 2008, 06:39 PM
the Mandriva implementation of KDE is the one I like the most, even more than opensuse's KDE (which I've found slower)

wxnker
July 24th, 2008, 08:21 PM
I've used Mandriva with both KDE and GNOME. In 2008 Spring I use Gnome. Mandriva works great with either or both. Another plus is the consistent look (themes, colors...) regardless if you use Gnome, KDE or both.

wxnker
August 4th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Another new review of Mandriva 2008.1 "one":
http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=249&tag=nl.e102