PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to upgrade a laptop's CPU?

EnergySamus
May 29th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Hi!

I have an

Acer Aspire 3690:

1.6 GHz Celeron M
Intel 940/943 GML Express Chipset
1 GB of RAM

Is it possible to upgrade my laptop's Processor? And if so, does anybody know a possible upgrade route. This processor is getting a bit slow for me:lolflag:! (but that is what you get when you buy a budget laptop, right:lolflag:?!)

Thanks
EnergySamus

Joeb454
May 29th, 2008, 06:05 PM
I'd imagine it's possible, though I wouldn't recommend it - I think it would be pretty difficult either way :)

EnergySamus
May 29th, 2008, 06:07 PM
The thing is that the cpu is literally right next to the RAM. It has little clippies like a desktop CPU to remove. It seems easy, but I am not sure what processor to use.

EnergySamus

talkingwires
May 29th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I've upgraded a laptop's CPU before. The biggest problem is that laptop motherboards don't support a wide range of CPUs, so you're usually limited to CPUs available in other models of the same laptop line. You won't be able to make a very big leap, but on older systems, a small boost can be very helpful.

A good place to start is your system's BIOS. What's the maximum CPU frequency it supports? What other CPUs are available in you laptop's product family? eBay is the best place to find cheap laptop CPUs. Keep in mind that laptops are built to be closed systems, and everything is centered around that fact. If your laptop's motherboard will let jump to a much faster CPU, you may need to upgrade your cooling, which may involve buying the parts of a faster laptop and perhaps cutting and drilling to make them fit in your system.

It can be done, but it's not exactly plug-and-play...