PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Screen Resolution Problems

cova
May 29th, 2008, 05:32 PM
I have just fully switched to Ubuntu after trying it out for a few days. One thing that I cant seem to get right is... yes you guessed it... the screen resolution. Have tried editing the xorg.conf but it doesnt like that (get a black screen and it says i must use low resolution or find settings).
But then I go into settings and all I have to choose from is Plug and Play option as my monitor isnt supported on here (Relisys TE770). Also display on lspci says SiS 630/730 (if that will help)
Would appreciate some help on this asap so im not having to suffer as im used to my 1280x1024 from windows!
Many thanks.

wolfen69
May 29th, 2008, 05:58 PM
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
if that does nothing, try:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorgthen set it manually. you can pretty much skip the parts about mouse and keyboard.

cova
May 29th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Well i tried that. The first does nothing and the only thing the second actually lets me customise is my keyboard and doesnt ask about anything else. Any other suggestions? I have attached my xorg.conf and lspci if they will help.

xorg.conf

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Option "UseFBDev" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen "Default Screen"
EndSection

lspci:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 730 Host (rev 02)
00:00.1 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE] (rev d0)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS85C503/5513 (LPC Bridge)
00:01.2 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 07)
00:01.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 07)
00:01.4 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS PCI Audio Accelerator (rev 02)
00:02.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] Virtual PCI-to-PCI bridge (AGP)
00:09.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
00:0b.0 Communication controller: Conexant HSF 56k HSFi Modem (rev 01)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 630/730 PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter (rev 31)

spiderbatdad
May 29th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Run
dmesg > dmesg.txtThat will create a file in you home directory. Right click the file and select 'create an archive' Upload that archive here using the manage attachment tool below.

cova
May 29th, 2008, 08:17 PM
cheers. will do...
ok there we go
EDIT: so whats this for anyway? may as well do a bit of learning while youre helping!

spiderbatdad
May 29th, 2008, 08:24 PM
This is a problem like I have on my machine:
Local APIC disabled by BIOS -- you can enable it with "lapic" From your dmesg. There are other pci routing issues as well.
I suggest editing the kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst of your default boot kernel. After reboot, run sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg again.
Make your kernel line look like this:

## ## End Default Options ##

title Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic root=UUID=##'s ro lapic pci=routeirq
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic
quiet
savedefaultjust edit the end of the line, as I have shown in bold, above, by deleting --quiet splash and replacing as shown.

cova
May 29th, 2008, 08:29 PM
sorry mate. could you explain that again? still a bit of a noob so step by step of what to put where would be great!
Cheers!

spiderbatdad
May 29th, 2008, 08:38 PM
The file to edit is called /boot/grub/menu.lst. To edit in admin mode, run the following command:
gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

Scroll down to the section I show above, and edit the end of the line that begins with the word 'kernel' to match the example above after the letters 'ro.'
Save the file. Reboot. Run
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorgReboot again. Try to configure resolution.

cova
May 29th, 2008, 09:14 PM
still nothing higher than 800x600
got this message after the last step.

xserver-xorg postinst warning: overwriting possibly-customised configuration
file; backup in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.20080529211200

then went back and tried without "-phigh" but still only keyboard config.
any other ideas?
Cheers

roundhay
May 29th, 2008, 11:19 PM
I'm having exactly the same problems. A lot of people seem to be suffering from screen resolution issues. I have search lost of threads but have not come across a solution so far.....

Is there a fix for this?

Big thumbs down for 8.04 so far, I though simple set up issues like screen resolution were a thing of the past......

roundhay
May 30th, 2008, 01:03 AM
I have manged to get the nvidia settings up and running and have lots of resolution choices!

Not to sure how I managed this as I have tried so many settings.....

I started to make progress when I down loaded the nvidia-settings package using synaptic.

After a restart I tried to open the nvidia-X server settings in admin and was told that I was not using this and should run nvidia-xconfig as root then restart X server

Code:

sudo nvidia-xconfig

Then I hit Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

This gave me a black screen? (Don't know why) after I switched off and rebooted the PC I got the nvidia logo on startup and all of my resolutions where available after logging in!

A bit of luck involved but I have tried many suggests from other threads, I definitely think downloading the nvidia-xconfig package help....

Still think there should be an easier solution to these problems..

cova
May 30th, 2008, 01:27 AM
no use. tried it before. think that is only of use if youre using an nvidia card which as i said earlier im not. thanks anyway!

cova
June 2nd, 2008, 12:48 AM
Ok well i got this sorted anyway. Found a xorg.conf of someone who had the same monitor and was also advised to add the driver manually under device and with those added it all worked fine.
Here is my edited xorg.conf if anyone needs some help or more explanation (edited bits are in bold

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "sis"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "RelisysTE770"
VendorName "Relisys"
ModelName "TE770"
Option "DPMS" "on"
HorizSync 60-75
VertRefresh 60-75
DisplaySize 338 270
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "RelisysTE770"
Device "Configured Video Device"
DefaultDepth 24

Subsection "Display"
Depth 8
Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
ViewPort 0 0
EndSubsection
Subsection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1440x900" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
ViewPort 0 0
EndSubsection
Subsection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1440x900" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
ViewPort 0 0
EndSubsection

EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen "Default Screen"
EndSection
Hopefully this will help someone else!

whoscheesemine
June 12th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Meh... doesn't help me much, I'm trying to get Xubuntu 8.04 to work on the very same machine: Sony Vaio PCV-J150

true_friend
June 12th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I have manged to get the nvidia settings up and running and have lots of resolution choices!

Not to sure how I managed this as I have tried so many settings.....

I started to make progress when I down loaded the nvidia-settings package using synaptic.

After a restart I tried to open the nvidia-X server settings in admin and was told that I was not using this and should run nvidia-xconfig as root then restart X server

Code:

Then I hit Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

This gave me a black screen? (Don't know why) after I switched off and rebooted the PC I got the nvidia logo on startup and all of my resolutions where available after logging in!

A bit of luck involved but I have tried many suggests from other threads, I definitely think downloading the nvidia-xconfig package help....

Still think there should be an easier solution to these problems..
Thanks this worked for me. Installed this package and then restart x let me to a config box before login screen. There I selected Monitor 1024 x 768, and then once again restart let me back to an xserver having 3 cursors instead of one. :guitar: I rebooted to recovery mode and then once tried to reconfigure xserver, once again came back to normal boot and fortunately it worked.
Thank god ubuntu doesn't seem LTS this time. It is creating so much problem due to this screen resolution issue. Anyhows we love it, :lolflag: