PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Down load or DVD ?

mike_a
May 29th, 2008, 02:45 PM
I have been looking through the postings and am wondering if many of the startup problems of missing files, bad paths, and corrupted commands, are caused by down load corruption?
Is installing from a DVD safer.

If anyone has any info on the (problems)/(type of install source)
ratio please let me know.

I am about to build a new system and I want to get back into GUN/Linux. The last time I was in it was with slackware linux and everything was done on command line and in vi, looking forward to a desktop and Anjuta.

To any new user of a Unix like system please suggest to them Mark G. Sobell's UNIX SYSTEM V. They should be able to pick up a used copy for just shipping cost from green_earth_books (see amazon.) It is still a standard teaching tool in
UNIX classes. So if some fool recommends rm *.* at the command line they can look up the command first.

Thanks mike_a

tigerplug
May 29th, 2008, 02:59 PM
I have been looking through the postings and am wondering if many of the startup problems of missing files, bad paths, and corrupted commands, are caused by down load corruption?
Is installing from a DVD safer.

If anyone has any info on the (problems)/(type of install source)
ratio please let me know.

I am about to build a new system and I want to get back into GUN/Linux. The last time I was in it was with slackware linux and everything was done on command line and in vi, looking forward to a desktop and Anjuta.

To any new user of a Unix like system please suggest to them Mark G. Sobell's UNIX SYSTEM V. They should be able to pick up a used copy for just shipping cost from green_earth_books (see amazon.) It is still a standard teaching tool in
UNIX classes. So if some fool recommends rm *.* at the command line they can look up the command first.

Thanks mike_a

If you are about to build a new system I would recommend that you download the CD/DVD and then perform an MD5 checksum on the image before attempting to do anythin.

:)