PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Log file/other to determine crash problems?

discmaster
May 29th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Is there a log file or something similar in Ubuntu that I can look at to try and determine the cause of crashes/lockups etc., in hopes of solving the problems?
I have looked at the system log, but if anyone can figure out what all that means, my hat is off to you! :confused:

After about a week of running 8.04, I am having crash problems now. Today for example, ff started closing randomly for wat reason, I don't know...
And then later, the OS crashed. It went to a blank screen, then I got some text, screen flashed off & on, the same text kept appearing. I finally rebooted & that cleared things up, for now it seems.

I have no clue as to how to track down the actual problems. Install issues? Corrupted files? I am tiring of the stock answer that I find all over google searches; "try reinstalling the OS".
I may not mind doing that a time or two if it would actually "fix" the problem, but multiple installs really get to be a pain, especially when you have to keep setting up all the programs that you have on the pc, setting up your mail pgm., etc.

Any comments, suggestions, I sure would appreciate them. I am a noob trying to learn, but Linux is hard...:(