PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Evolution: minimize to tray on close

lviggiani
May 29th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Hi,
I recently moved to gnome after one year with kde.
One of the good things kontact has, is the possibility to minimize the program in the system tray when the close button is clicked.
Is it possible to do the same on Evolution?
Thanks.

bobynux
June 1st, 2008, 08:36 AM
Hi,

I don't think that possibility exists in Evolution.
But you can use Alltray.

It'll minimize any application in the systray.

http://alltray.sourceforge.net/
It's available in the repos, so you can easily install it via Synaptic.

iamnotthemessiah
June 1st, 2008, 11:50 AM
if you have a problem with the repo version of alltray try this https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alltray/+bug/106583

lviggiani
June 3rd, 2008, 12:46 PM
Thanks!

nowhere@cox.net
June 7th, 2008, 11:24 PM
I'm using the launchpad version of AllTray and it seems it doesn't play nice with Evolution. When launching evolution with all tray, the current new mail notification is forced out of the notification area into it's own window, a window that won't shut down nicely. I have to force a quit on it.

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong. I launched with

alltray -s -l -na -st evolution --component=mail

apche93
August 25th, 2008, 06:30 AM
actually i found that if u take off the "-na" and make it run w/o the Alltray in window title it runs w/o glitchiness!

so:

alltray -s -l -st evolution --component=mail

Unless u are really obsessed with the "Alltray" thing being there.. Hey! id rather have it run smoothly than doing extra work any day right? lol

hope that helps

zoomy942
April 5th, 2010, 10:37 PM
wonder how this might work in 10.04?

lingenfr
November 21st, 2010, 03:57 PM
Yes, unfortunately you can find posts on this issue going back several years. The appropriate behavior is for evolution to 'minimize to tray' on close just like pidgin does with the appropriate plug-in. Then you would be notified of new mail, etc via the existing notification icon. Again, just like pidgin does with the plug-in. Disappointing that there are many, many links in many forums asking for this feature, but years with no progress. Running multiple trays is not the answer.

Dustout
December 12th, 2010, 10:31 PM
I too have been wanting this feature for some time, seems like ubuntu has chat/music/broadcast down pat, but email just doesn't work as nicely

puller
December 24th, 2010, 12:21 PM
I leave Evolution opened in the fourth desktop, it's a poor solution tough.