PDA

View Full Version : Non ubuntu users' opinion of ubuntu...

xequence
October 24th, 2005, 12:57 AM
What is your impression of non ubuntu users' opinion of ubuntu?

Obviously other distro users will like the one they use, and I doubt they will like ubuntu more, but, heh :P

Someone from fedoraforums:

Ubuntu has got to be the most noobest distro. Sure it's easy to use but it's neither a bleeding edge nor capable distro. The only thing good is that they ship free cd's.

Arch Linux and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 are the best in my words. I only use Fedora Core 4 as a desktop distro or when things don't work.

Apt is okay in my opinion. It's better than pacman but I'd rather use up2date, yum, and emerge.

my reply:

What is "noob" about it? It isnt bleeding edge... Uh, fedora core 4 was released on june 13th. It includes Gnome 2.10. Ubuntu 5.10 was released October 13th. It includes Gnome 2.12. Now, which one, to you, seems more bleeding edge? And what makes it less capable then fedora core? The only big differences to me are... Fedora core comes on more CDs, and fedora core uses rpm/yum and ubuntu uses deb/apt. I dont know about rpm/yum but apt is just perfectly awesome. I have heard about dependency hell with RPM, though aparently it hasnt been a problem recently.

I have only used apt, but what do those other ones do that apt doesnt? Are they all for fedora core?

sudo apt-get install *insert name here*

It doesnt get any more simpler then that. The ones you named might be just as simple, but it cant get any more simpler. Plus, synaptic rocks as a frontend.

majikstreet
October 24th, 2005, 01:00 AM
What is your impression of non ubuntu users' opinion of ubuntu?

Obviously other distro users will like the one they use, and I doubt they will like ubuntu more, but, heh :P

Someone from fedoraforums:

my reply:
Give me the link to that post! /me will post xD

xequence
October 24th, 2005, 01:03 AM
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=387986#post387986

And they replied with... Spam...

Their reply:

editediteditedit

stimpack
October 24th, 2005, 01:07 AM
Nothing wrong with him expressing that opinion. imo it would be a sad day if everyone liked and used Ubuntu.

xequence
October 24th, 2005, 01:08 AM
Nothing wrong with him expressing that opinion. imo it would be a sad day if everyone liked and used Ubuntu.

Nothing wrong with the opinion, but the fact there is no backup of it ;)

Kvark
October 24th, 2005, 01:08 AM
The most common oppinion from non Ubuntu users is probably "ubublub...what?".

Lovechild
October 24th, 2005, 01:15 AM
nekkid people.. woohoo!!!111oneoneone

isn't that how Ubuntu got famous?

xequence
October 24th, 2005, 02:22 AM
nekkid people.. woohoo!!!111oneoneone

isn't that how Ubuntu got famous?

What accually was that, anyway?

Lovechild
October 24th, 2005, 02:30 AM
What accually was that, anyway?

The first version of Ubuntu had, to fit the human theme, people on the gnome splash and gdm screen - however people complained about their relative nakedness (really they were covered up).

That sorta stuck with Ubuntu ever since...