PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop Missing Components after update

ikedaman
May 28th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Yesterday, I ran the updates that pop up in the upper right hand corner of the screen. The next time I booted up, the Applications, administration and other drop down in the upper left were missing along with most everything else. I can't see the firefox icon and anything that I minimize doesn't appear on the bottom bar of the screen. Also, my theme preferences are altered. In order for me to be posting right now, I had to make a blank html document on the desktop, then open it so I could use firefox. Additionally, I can not shut down properly. I need to hold down my power button to kill Ubuntu, and I don't want to do that anymore. Audio doesn't work either. Here is a picture of my screen:
http://photos-105.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v290/101/113/82300105/n82300105_30343487_7136.jpg

There have been no error messages. It must be something with the updates that I put on here. Is there a way to just undo those last updates? Thanks in advance for any help.

ardensdrunk
June 24th, 2008, 02:03 AM
i just did some updates today and i'm having the same problem.

my menu bar up top is completely gone .. i can still rotate the cube if i want, but i literally have NOTHING on my desktop except one file.
all other menu's and bars are now gone.

i assume it was the update that triggered this, but does anyone have any ideas on what i can test?

winfree
June 24th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Today's update, June 23, finished with 17 errors. I could not close Update Manager window. Could not open Firefox, nor paste them to a text editor message.
Has any one else got these problems?

ardensdrunk
June 24th, 2008, 06:55 AM
at the very least ...

is there a simple command to back out the most recent update?