PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] After update to kernel linux 2.6.24.17 can't start administrative applications and...

Paulo M.
May 28th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Hello!
Please, I need some help... since I've made today's updates - one of them kernel linux 2.6.24.17 - in my grub dual boot appears (beside Windows XP Pro, of course) two different ubuntu OS - the old 2.6.24.16 and the new one 2.6.24.17 (and the recovery modes of each one, too).
But the worst of this is that in the new kernel I'm not able to start any administrative process (synaptic, update manager or anyone else...) and lost all my configuration settings as nvidia settings (witch driver I can't enable because that issue concerning administrative processes), compiz, and so on...
When I try to start any of those applications, appears in the lower panel an indication of a window "starting administrative..." for a while and then it's gone again and nothing happens...
Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this?

Thanks in advance!

dstew
May 28th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Does everything work OK with your older kernel?

Paulo M.
May 28th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Thanks...
Yes it did work, but not anymore....
Now, in grub the old kernel don't show anymore..... and in this new one, I still can't use synaptic or other administrative application!
I really don't now what to do....

Thanks again (and help me please... I did decided to move towards ubuntu because was tired of M$ bugs... :()

All my best!

Paulo M.
May 28th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Hello again.
I got some news, but don't know if are they helpless...
I could run synaptic and update manager in terminal, but there were two strange messages in terminal:
"sudo: unable to resolve host Speeduntu" (Speeduntu is my pc name) and "current dist not found in meta-release file".
Besides, when I try to start synaptic or update manager in System>Administration menu, in system monitor starts a sleeping gksu process...
As I told before, don't know if this is helpful... but I really need some help!

Thanks in advance one more time

Paulo M.
May 29th, 2008, 12:11 AM
I really don't know how, but my hosts file was changed...
Editing it with the correct pc name, it became fine...
I think all my problems are solved for now.
Thanks again!

ScottyP
May 29th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Paulo-

Can you explain what you did to fix the problem? It sounds like I have the same problem and I'm very new to Ubuntu and Linux.

Thanks!

dstew
May 29th, 2008, 12:50 AM
Boot into Recovery Mode, and choose Root Command Line. On the command line, enter this command to edit your /etc/hosts file:
nano /etc/hostsLook for the line near the top that has your system name with an extension (like .HOME). Put a # at the front to "comment it out". Then, hit ctrl-X (nano's menu at the bottom lists it as ^X) to exit, and type Y to save the file. Then, reboot. You can enter reboot on the command line to reboot.

ScottyP
May 29th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Found the fix off of this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=723361

Followed the directions given by PmDematagoda

dstew - I think it's basically the same direction you were going. Thanks!

Xirowei
May 29th, 2008, 01:12 AM
I also facing same problem after a fresh install of Ubuntu follow by an update of total 101 items. Here is the solution that works for me.

run Terminal type in command: sudo gedit /etc/hosts
the output of the Terminal should look like this:
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 xirowei.WORKGROUP

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

xirowei = username
WORRKGROUP = domain name

Change to below output by delete away ".WORKGROUP":
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 xirowei

Save the file. Now try run any administrative applications, the window that prompt you to enter password will appear now.

Paulo M.
May 29th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Yes. that's it...
editing /etc/hosts just like told up here, solved my problem.
Thank you all, and sorry for not getting in here in time to help you too!

All my best!