PDA

View Full Version : Nautilus + Tabs Coming Soon

notwen
May 28th, 2008, 06:52 PM
http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2008/05/27/gnome-file-manager-gets-tabbed-file-browsing

About time this make it's way into Nautilus.

eragon100
May 28th, 2008, 06:57 PM
YESS! I have been wanting tabs in nautilus far ages! :popcorn:

Mazza558
May 28th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Just shows what 7 years of hard work can bring! :)

smartboyathome
May 28th, 2008, 07:01 PM
They aren't implimenting panes? That is MUCH more useful than tabs imo. :(

notwen
May 28th, 2008, 07:05 PM
They aren't implimenting panes? That is MUCH more useful than tabs imo. :(

Not yet, that's due out in another 5+ years. =]

Hells_Dark
May 28th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Good news !

:)

Mr. Picklesworth
May 28th, 2008, 07:33 PM
In fairness, issues with panes arise as soon as we start looking at the widgetry around them. Lots of file managers go so far as duplicating their interface for either pane, even, because it is difficult to follow things otherwise.

Look at the changes (hopefully!) coming to Nautilus for selected files affecting the sidebar, for example. When there are two panes, two files in different panes could (and should) be selected at once, with deselecting then becoming something the user must do himself instead of being implicit. The same issue pops up with copying or deleting files. Which one is the user actually thinking of? It can become a rather big jumble.
With tabs, on the other hand, only one folder is open at once so the software can more safely predict what the user is thinking of.

Not that I am a tabs person either, but supporting that sort of interface should have a lot less impact on the program as a whole... and it does help to keep things organized.
Quick question: Do the tabs work like other buttons that represent folders in Nautilus? That is, can we drag them and drop them as files, or drop files into the tab widgets themselves?

notwen
May 28th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Quick question: Do the tabs work like other buttons that represent folders in Nautilus? That is, can we drag them and drop them as files, or drop files into the tab widgets themselves?themselves?

The article doesn't go into detail of the tab implementation, but it is said to be included in GNOME 2.24's release due out in September. So we don't have too terribly long to found out from first hand experience. I'm also excited about the new file view option 'Compact Column (http://blogs.gnome.org/cneumair/2008/03/30/compact-view-has-landed-in-nautilus-trunk/)'.

rudihawk
May 28th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Yay! At last!

geoken
May 28th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Look at the changes (hopefully!) coming to Nautilus for selected files affecting the sidebar, for example. When there are two panes, two files in different panes could (and should) be selected at once, with deselecting then becoming something the user must do himself instead of being implicit. The same issue pops up with copying or deleting files. Which one is the user actually thinking of? It can become a rather big jumble.
With tabs, on the other hand, only one folder is open at once so the software can more safely predict what the user is thinking of.

Couldn't you simply deselect the file when a different pane recieves focus (basically the exact thing you'd be doing with tabs).

You don't have to look any further than Dolphin to see exactly how these features should work. Dolphin gets by with one set of UI controls and it also has the feature you mentioned above where a side panel displays info on the current selection.

bigbrovar
May 28th, 2008, 08:55 PM
great .. about time too

northwestuntu
May 28th, 2008, 09:07 PM
tabs are very useful.

Superkoop
May 28th, 2008, 10:22 PM
I think I read about this in GNOME's roadmap a while ago, I was totally stoked! And I can't wait! I hate having to have 3-4 windows up, and getting easily lost. But with tabs... I can fly!