PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing ubuntu along side with windows

Kinnza
May 28th, 2008, 06:47 PM
hi
i just installed ubuntu about a week ago, and i used another partition for that, and left the previouse winows running

first i have a question, during the installation it asked for a swap partition, i didnt give it one and it warned me that it might cause probs. how true is that? how big should be such a partition?
also, i formated the linux partition in ext2, is that ok?

the problem is that when i boot windows, it tries to do a check disk or something. basicly it identifies the linux partition as a bad one and tries to scan each time, and get stuck (it doesnt even start the scanning).
do you know if i can make it just skip it? ignore that partition? cause its pretty annoying...

logos34
May 28th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Technically, you can run without a swap but you won't be able to hibernate. Nor will it run as efficiently. Can't you spare at least 512mb to 1 x your ram? That's all you really need for everyday computing on linux. (I have 512 mb ram and I'm about ready to reduce my 768mb swap to 512 because I never see it load up more than ~350mb)

ext2 does not have journaling. Less resilient. So if you have a power outage (and you're not on APC) you won't recover as easily. You'll have to google for the details but ext3 is the way to go (and the default). There's also JFS, XFS, Reiser4.

Ext3 is rock-solid in my experience. I've had at least 3 blackouts here and I can boot right back up--hardly misses a beat. (try that on ntfs!) I'm just plugged in to a surge protector powerstrip. Knowing that I can always recover with ext3 means I don't have to go out and spend $50 on an battery backup.

Kinnza
May 28th, 2008, 07:32 PM
oh thanks ALOT!
i will move to ext3 i think i have to reinstall anyway
and then i will try to spare few G for it... (i have 2 G so according to your calcs i need 1g swap am i correct?)

logos34
May 28th, 2008, 08:27 PM
if you also want to be able to hibernate then you need 1 x your ram. So 2 gb in that case.

Kinnza
May 28th, 2008, 08:50 PM
oh ok cool thanks :D

now im just left with the stupid disk checking when windows boots

logos34
May 28th, 2008, 09:04 PM
oh ok cool thanks :D

now im just left with the stupid disk checking when windows boots

wish I had suggestion to offer on that one. good luck

Kinnza
May 29th, 2008, 08:10 AM
well no biggie, i just hope someone else knows...
its pretty annoying

housam
May 29th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Try installing this driver (http://www.fs-driver.org/) as it makes windows to recognize ubuntu partitions . it may make it stop trying to check the HDD.

Kinnza
May 29th, 2008, 02:10 PM
thanks i will try that :D i'll let you know it if works

Kinnza
May 30th, 2008, 11:56 PM
ok i installed it and now windows see the linux drives and all but it still wants to scan it on load....