PDA

View Full Version : My Favorite Programs on Linux- and what they do!

radagast1155
May 28th, 2008, 06:41 PM
So here is a list of my favorite programs:
Wine- no one runs Windows programs for free like Wine
Open Office- a great Microsoft Office alternative
Limewire- For those hard to find songs and stuff
Amarok- Comparible in some respects to iTunes
Deluge- BitTorrent client that beats the pants off uTorrent
Emerald- Great for spicing the desktop up
f-Stop- A great picture cataloging program(essencial for Photography buffs)
Gimp- A crude Photoshop but everything is there
Angry Drunken Dwarves- A great fantasy-themed tetris game
Pidgen- Across the board IM app(AOL,Yahoo!,MySpace are all done in one menu)
Firefox- The god-sent Web Browser
Python IDLE- a perfect port of the application
Eclipse- A near perfect application for developing programs in several
languages
Audacity- Great for audio recording, editing, deleting, fusing and more
Filezilla- Another perfect port this time for FTP
HP Toolbox- A must have for HP All-In-Ones

The best thing is that all of these programs are in your default repositories or are already availible in Debian Packages!!
If you have recomendations please post them!!!

nebu
May 28th, 2008, 06:48 PM
id go for frostwire instead of limewire....

its pretty much the same thing but opensource....

kamitsukai
May 28th, 2008, 06:50 PM
also utorrent isnt really alinux app but runs in wine...i use deluge wich is very simmilar to utorrent

mister_pink
May 28th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I've never got the "Comparible to iTunes" thing. I _hate_ itunes. I think it's an insult to amarok to compare them.

radagast1155
May 28th, 2008, 06:57 PM
true, I am trying to stay away from windows programs as much as I can so I shall try this Deluge
Frostwire is good but I find that it sometimes will crash so i stayed with Limewire, but I have heard that it has fixed itself somewhat. I also love the color green!

radagast1155
May 28th, 2008, 06:59 PM
All I was saying about comparible to iTunes was that if you were used to iTunes setup then you would be confortable in Amarok. Your right though it is much better that iTunes!

radagast1155
May 28th, 2008, 07:11 PM
also utorrent isnt really alinux app but runs in wine...i use deluge wich is very simmilar to utorrent

much thanks!!! Deluge has now replaced uTorrent as my favorite. Runs faster, no behind the scene tasks, and it looks better to boot!

AmishFury
May 28th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Exaile.. like amarok light only the replay gain isn't broken and 24bit audio files will play back properly
Rhythmbox... all it really needs is full replaygain support (and not just a hidden on/off option)
XChat... i don't use IM services and all i need is IRC
VLC Player... for DVDs in linux i have yet to find something better
GRip... closest thing to an EAC replacement linux has
Thunderbird... evolution is nice and all but thunderbird is better and really should be the one included with ubuntu IMO
DOSBox... what can i say... i give up my ability to play my windows games when i am running linux i'll be damned if i give up my dos games too
terminal... because it's "cool" to put it in these lists

radagast1155
May 28th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Very nice list. Unfortunatly my e-mail is done through school servers and they signed a contract with g-mail or something and so they wont release the configuration details for e-mail programs. Sounds good though

mister_pink
May 28th, 2008, 07:30 PM
All I was saying about comparible to iTunes was that if you were used to iTunes setup then you would be confortable in Amarok. Your right though it is much better that iTunes!

Fair enough. A lot of people seem to like itunes for some odd reason and complain that they're unable to find something as good for ubuntu!

radagast1155
May 28th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Fair enough. A lot of people seem to like itunes for some odd reason and complain that they're unable to find something as good for ubuntu!

Its because of the iPod it is the only reason Apple is still in the game after Microsoft's hostile takeover of the market.
Anyways, people like iTunes for one of two reasons:
1. They have a Mac and cant get anything better
2. They have a PC and Windows Media Player is even worse!

kamitsukai
May 30th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Very nice list. Unfortunatly my e-mail is done through school servers and they signed a contract with g-mail or something and so they wont release the configuration details for e-mail programs. Sounds good though

You mean you cant just use This Tutorial (http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=77662) to get your email working with thunderbird?

gameryoshi600
May 30th, 2008, 12:35 AM
Here are some of mine-
Firefox- an awesome web browser
Opera- if firefox is being an idiot
skype- to talk with friends
pidgin- to talk to people on aol, msn, etc. all-in-one
transmission- an awesome bittorrent client
openoffice- the best office suite
wine- to run windows programs
k3b- beats nero
virtualbox- to run other operating systems inside of ubuntu

IHATEDLINK
May 30th, 2008, 12:36 AM
What about aMule?
So much better that LIMEWIRE [-X
I like Compiz-Fusion, Pidgin, Rythmbox, AWN and VLC.
Somme Google Apps are available for linux to! (Earth and Picassa are must-haves for me, I can't stand F-spot.)
I read something about someone complaining about Evolution: Evolution is included in Ubuntu instead of Thunderbird because it's a native GNOME app.
Firefox needs a Ubuntu add-on to make it look more "native".

FFighter
May 30th, 2008, 01:13 AM
If you think about the amount of quality FOSS available at your fingertips, it is really amazing!

+1 for Eclipse, I really do like this beast, use it for everything, from Flash Programming (FDT plugin) to Python (pyDev) and Java (JDT).

aMule is nice, but has too many quircks. eMule is certainly better.

kamitsukai
May 30th, 2008, 01:27 AM
@ IHATEDLINK - well picassa is good if you originally used it on windows and it looks pretty but digikam is much better in my oppinion :)

cardinals_fan
May 30th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Opera, dmenu, urxvt, GQview, vim.

pt123
May 30th, 2008, 04:09 AM
much thanks!!! Deluge has now replaced uTorrent as my favorite. Runs faster, no behind the scene tasks, and it looks better to boot!
Try Ktorrent I find it better. I am a Gnome user too.

IHATEDLINK
May 30th, 2008, 11:06 PM
@ IHATEDLINK - well picassa is good if you originally used it on windows and it looks pretty but digikam is much better in my oppinion :)

Yeah, I feel MUCH more comfortable using Picassa2 that ANY other photo-managing app.
That's maybe because I have always used it in Windows PC's...
Digikam... never tried, maybe I will...

RiceMonster
May 30th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Nictoine-Plus - a Linux client for the Soulseek network who's interface I actually prefer over the ugly Official Windows client.
TuxGuitar - Basically a Linux version of GuitarPro, which is must have guitar tab software. Not quite as good, but everything is there.
Vim - try and find a better text editor, despite the fact that it's not easy to learn.
The GIMP - This has all the features that I used to download an illegal copy of Photoshop for. I don't do anythign advanced, so it's really great.
Amarok - Really great, I just wish it worked with my laptop's media keys
Exaile - More or less Amarok in GTK. This works with my laptop media keys and looks nicer. Once they release the fix for the problem that messes up the equalizer in Hardy, I'll be using it instead of Amarok.
Wine - I can play Diablo II, Starcraft, and Counterstrike 1.6 with my friends with Wine. It's great
Tuxracer and all variants - Now that's a cool game :). As Tux, you race down mountains on his belly.

eragon100
May 30th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Picasa isn't a linux application BTW. Never noticed the mouse cursor inside the app? It is the windows version running under wine, just like utorrent (and a freeware file converter I stumbled upon on the net to convert odf files to ooxml and vice versa; it also listed wine as a supported platform :)

Web browser: opera

picture editor: GIMP

Games: Savage 1, Urban Terror, Nexuiz, open arena and battle for wesnoth (favorites, not only ones I play!)

IRC client: KVirc 3 (looks great, no idea where you can get it, but it is included by default in ubuntu ultimate 1.8 "Harty Hotrod" (:lolflag:)

Office: open office

music: amarok

videos/dvd's: vlc

that are the most important ones! :)