PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install and upgrade

gettinit
May 28th, 2008, 06:01 PM
I have found that I love Ubuntu and am using it more than windows some im upgrading my work computer and trying to install it on my older laptop at the house.

My work computer is one I built and it runs ubuntu fine however its linked to the network and I am having trouble upgrading to the new release. I upgraded another computer I built at my girls house just fine so Im thinking it has to do with being connected to the netowrk. Now I consider myself a beginner with ubuntu so if you know exactly what the problem is please assume very little. Now I get all of the updates just fine but it won't upgrade to the new release????

Problem 2
My older Dell inspiron 2650 with new 80gig har drive and upgraded 512 memory will run the live disk but when I go to install it, it goes through the setup ok and then I hear the music and I get a blank screen with a large green block on the right and a smaller white block on the left. Im thinking it has to do with my video card, any ideas??

If you had told me 6 mos ago I would be trying to figure out how to change everything over I would have said you were crazy, but the plain and simple fact is its just better and more fun to use!
THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS!

abn91c
May 28th, 2008, 06:09 PM
I have found that I love Ubuntu and am using it more than windows some im upgrading my work computer and trying to install it on my older laptop at the house.

My work computer is one I built and it runs ubuntu fine however its linked to the network and I am having trouble upgrading to the new release. I upgraded another computer I built at my girls house just fine so Im thinking it has to do with being connected to the netowrk. Now I consider myself a beginner with ubuntu so if you know exactly what the problem is please assume very little. Now I get all of the updates just fine but it won't upgrade to the new release????

Problem 2
My older Dell inspiron 2650 with new 80gig har drive and upgraded 512 memory will run the live disk but when I go to install it, it goes through the setup ok and then I hear the music and I get a blank screen with a large green block on the right and a smaller white block on the left. Im thinking it has to do with my video card, any ideas??

If you had told me 6 mos ago I would be trying to figure out how to change everything over I would have said you were crazy, but the plain and simple fact is its just better and more fun to use!
THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS!

follow the directions in the ubuntu website, you must update your repositories in adept-manager, go here http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

gettinit
May 29th, 2008, 03:07 PM
I get an authentication failed message.
It says there must something wrong with the network etc..

zvacet
May 29th, 2008, 09:30 PM
If you can surf it is not network problem.You can upgrade with alternate CD,and that way you will do upgrade and have disc.Also will solve your second problem.

jimv
May 29th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Problem 2

You could try installing with the alternate CD instead of the live cd. Sometimes I have better results with the alternate.

Here's a link to the download from the Univerity of Utah:
http://ubuntu.cs.utah.edu/releases/hardy/ubuntu-8.04-alternate-i386.iso

gettinit
May 30th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Just started downloading it. If it works I'll post my results about both thanks!