PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Fedora 8 dual boot with ubuntu 8

mack_guy911
May 28th, 2008, 04:29 PM
hi to all

i am newbe i just install fedora 8 on my external usb drive now i want to install ubuntu without messing up with my internal hard drive and external fedora boot

now booted with ubuntu 8.04 live cd and make mannual partition for root and then next next ......now at end its ask me to load bootloader now i dont understand where should i install boot loader without messing with my internal harddrive or external with fedora pre installed

my external harddrive partitions ....

/dev/sdb1 = boot partition (for Fedora)

/dev/sda3 = Fedora root ( /)
/dev/sda5 = fat
/dev/sda6 = fat
/dev/sda7 = i want to use ....for ubuntu installation (just created ext3 with help of Gparted).

/dev/sda4 = swap

now my question where i should create boot of ubuntu so grub boot both fedora and ubuntu both on my external harddrive

dstew
May 28th, 2008, 06:11 PM
So, you boot Fedora using grub now, and you want to use the same grub to boot your new Ubuntu system. Am I correct? If so, do not install grub, and exit the installer. Then, you can edit the menu.lst file that your current grub booter is using to add a menu item to boot your Ubuntu system that is on /dev/sda7.

mack_guy911
May 29th, 2008, 08:07 AM
hi thanks

i am not techno greek i dont know grub commands at all. ALL i want is to install ubuntu with fedora and both work and boot on my external hardisk it dosent matter if its ubuntu grub or fedora grub as defaut.

secoundly if i install ubuntu without grub loaded where and what command i needed to enter in fedora grub i am new to this grub stuff.......all i want is both of them boot its dosent matter with whose grub.....just like you install xp over 98....it will take boot automatically so in this case what i need to do ???? becoz i dont know anything grub edtion.....

sorry if i sound nerd .....lol......
this linux stuff freaked me out.....lol

meierfra.
May 29th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Ubuntu will recognize Fedora, so just go with the default (Ubuntu installs Grub to the MBR) and Ubuntu and Fedora will both magically appear on your Grub menu.

mack_guy911
May 29th, 2008, 06:37 PM
hello and thanks again

now i installed ubuntu without bootloader now how to add my boot conf into fedora grub
i have also have menu.lst in my fedora and it auto added to grub.conf now all i need is right path and code....LOL and ofcouse automount sda7 in fstab...plz correct..me

my fedora grub

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
# NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
# root (hd0,0)
# kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sda3
# initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/sda
default=2
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Ubuntu (2.6.24-16)
root (hd0,6)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic root=/dev/sda7
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic
title Fedora (2.6.24.7-92.fc8)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.24.7-92.fc8 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet
initrd /initrd-2.6.24.7-92.fc8.img

i try to add ubuntu my ubuntu is installed on sda7

i more thing i wonder when i boot from fedora its show sda while when i installing ubuntu from my external hardisk its show sdb (i know this becoz my external hard is only 80 gd and other is 160 secoundly its only contain linux ya when i install fedora 1st time as i told before i am no tech greek so what i did it remove my internal harddirk and then install it but this time i got it form gparted so i installed it on sdb7 which i got from gparted location while formating .....which its show form ubuntu

but now i am on fedora and after fdisk-l its show it on sda7 now i know it becoz its the only 14 gb partiton on my hardrive and secoundly this time i didnt remove my internal harddsk while install so i guss that why its showing sdb7 plz make me correct .......

now its showing in boot but its say error no file (kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic root=/dev/sda7)found

how to mount it permantly in my fedora fstab sorry i forgot all about linux...LOl

meierfra.
May 29th, 2008, 07:42 PM
deleted

dstew
May 29th, 2008, 08:34 PM
When you installed Ubuntu, did you tell the installer that /dev/sdb1 was to be mounted on /boot?

From the menu, type 'c' to get a command line, and enter
find /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-genericto see where it finds the kernel image. If that doesn't work, try
find /vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic

mack_guy911
May 30th, 2008, 06:41 AM
i installed it on /dev/sdb7 from ubuntu

but as i told you when i isntalled fedora which was my 1st time with linux so what i did what... i remove internal harddrive and install it so there will be only one harddrive thats my ext hard drive...now i am not having any problem with my existing fedora or any with my internal windows harddrive

so what i did is i install ubuntu in gui mode select hardisk in mannual mode then select harddisk sdb7 which is actually sda 7 according to fedora i recheck it with gparted in fedora as well as with fdisk -l its same sda 7 i also seen ubuntu file contents on sda7

those grub entery is done my me manually

title Ubuntu (2.6.24-16)
root (hd0,6)

one more thing at the end of gui install i go to advance and uncheck bootloader at that bootloader its was showing (hd0) entry by defualt but i didnt install bootloader i uncheck it. now i am having all my fedora kernel working fine and grub working fine just dont understand how to add ubuntu entery sda7 in grub of fedora and how to make ubuntu drive auto mounted

my ubuntu boot (sda7) folder contains following files

abi-2.6.24-16-generic
config-2.6.24-16-generic
initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic
initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic.bak
memtest86+.bin
System.map-2.6.24-16-generic
vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic

just 7 of these files......no grub installed

this is my menu.lst entery of fedora grub also have same entery

title Upgrade to Fedora 9 (Sulphur)
kernel /upgrade/vmlinuz preupgrade lang=en_US.UTF-8 keymap=us stage2=hd:sda1:/upgrade/stage2.img method=ftp://fedora.glug-nith.org/linux/releases/9/Fedora/x86_64/os
initrd /upgrade/initrd.img
title Fedora (2.6.24.7-92.fc8)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.24.7-92.fc8 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet
initrd /initrd-2.6.24.7-92.fc8.img
title Fedora (2.6.23.9-85.fc8)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23.9-85.fc8 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet
initrd /initrd-2.6.23.9-85.fc8.img
title Other
rootnoverify (hd0,4)
chainloader +1

i remove all ubuntu enteries which i made mannualy i have back up of this grub

i think i done some wrong entery

and in case of mounting i dont know i install it in gui mode i guss all the trouble is its not mounted auto because its shows no file (/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic root=/dev/sda7) found

i also tried /vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic root=/dev/sda7 but same results no file found those entery i done it mannualy its not taken by fedora

my fedora boot is (h0,0)

fedora boot drive

/boot sda1

fedora root drive
/sda3

ubuntu root drive
/sda 7

in ubuntu i didnt load bootloader and installed it in gui mode so i dont know if it is auto mount on boot or not but i guss its not becoz i dont see any ubuntu in fstab of fedora so i need help to enter what is fstab to make it auto mount

meierfra.
May 30th, 2008, 07:12 AM
title Ubuntu (2.6.24-16)
root (hd0,6)

Change it to

title Ubuntu (2.6.24-16)
root (hd1,6)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic root=/dev/sdb7 ro

According to your "menu.lst" the fedora Boot partition is (hd0,0). Ubuntu is on the other drive so the ubuntu root partition is "(hd1,6)"

The parameters in the kernel line are instructions for the Ubuntu kernel. The Ubuntu kernel sees the Ubuntu root partition as "sdb7", so you need to "sdb7"
To avoid this issue, can use the "root=UUID=....."
To find out the correct UUID use

blkid

Also you should add "ro" to your kernel parameters.

mack_guy911
May 30th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Thanks a lot

i got ubuntu booted

title Ubuntu (2.6.24-16)
root (hd0,6)

but now i am facing new problem ist say i dont have permission to access harddrive to write i guss its because of fedora i disable selinux now how to give permision to that harddrive

chmod 777 ..........???

or do i need to edit some thing in fstab

secoundly

sir you said something about

"root=UUID=....."

what is that and how i can write it its very kind of you if your give full explained code

thanks again atleat i now can boot but i cannot login becoz of some permission locking on that drive i guss.....

meierfra.
May 30th, 2008, 06:58 PM
root=UUID=....."

what is that and how i can write it its very kind of you if your give full explained code

Since "root=/dev/sdb7" worked, there is no reason for you to worry about it. But here is the explanation anyway;

Every partition has an identification number called "UUID" (Universally Unique Identifier). If you want to know the UUID of say "/dev/sda5" type

sudo blkid /dev/sda5

The output looks like

/dev/sda5: LABEL="Data" UUID="c219ce14-71de-4da9-84ff-2270b43d7432" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3"

(or use "sudo blkid" to list the UUID for all you partitions.)

Ubuntu uses "UUID's" in menu.lst and fstab, since the "/dev/sda5" might change if you repartition a hard drive, or add a hard drive.

So in "menu.lst" and "fstab" you can replace "/dev/sda5" by
UUID=c219ce14-71de-4da9-84ff-2270b43d7432

mack_guy911
May 31st, 2008, 02:22 PM
Thanks a lot what i did at end is reinstall ubuntu without bootloader its delete all previous installed files and now i got clean ubuntu working with my fedora grub.

so if any one having same problem and want to install dual linux distro all they need to know 1st their hard drive

like mine is (h0,6) which mean 1st drive and 6 means my 7th partition.

now i thing i also found little tricky that is in fedora its shows my partition sda7 while from ubuntu its shows sdb7 but all you need to do when you install its from gui mode as all we do is to check which partition it show from ubuntu you have to add that one in your grub like mine showing sb7 from ubuntu one more thing i like to add if you dont want to add bootloader at the end go to advance mode and uncheck bootloader but doing before that please check what is default bootloader right path is like in mine its showing (h0) so that why i got to know my grub entry (h0)for my disk and as i know my partition is sdb7 so its 6 ie one less then your partition number ......

please copy your grub.conf and menu.lst and paste it in some other drive before doing that becoz if you done some thing wrong you can get back the right entry form that......

title Ubuntu (2.6.24-16)
root (hd0,6)

THANKS everyone for their kind help

special thanks to meierfra your code work like gem.....LOL

title Ubuntu (2.6.24-16)
root (hd1,6)

all i need to change in your code is hd0

special thanks to all those guys who doing GR8 job like helping newbe like me.....

meierfra.
May 31st, 2008, 05:14 PM
Actually I would recommend to install ubuntu with the boot loader.
Ubuntu will detect your other OS's and set up everything for you.

But if you really do not want to overwrite your current boot loader, just install grub to the boot sector of the ubuntu partition. Then use one of these two entries in your Fedora "menu.lst"

title Ubuntu
chainloader (hd1,6)+1

or

title Ubuntu
configfile (hd1,6)/ubuntu/boot/grub/menu.lst

Also in the ubuntu "menu.lst" change "timeout 10" to "timeout 1" and "hiddenmenu" to "#hiddenmenu"

This way you will not have to edit your Fedora "menu.lst" every time Ubuntu has a kernel update.

(You can still arrange this now: Just run "sudo grub-install /dev/sdb7" and "sudo update grub" from a Ubuntu terminal to install grub to sdb7 and generate "menu.lst"