PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] after update, gnome stalls after login

frozenfyer
May 28th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Updated 2-3 days ago and held off on the restart. Updated again today and then used the restart icon to prompt a restart. Gnome stopped responding (mouse movement fine). Was able to in and out of standby, but no applications launchable or shutdown dialog. Finally did a hard reset. When Ubuntu restarted, the "something is wrong" gnome desktop loaded (the one with the power icon as the guy running) and I got a error dialog saying something about gnome-daemon error. Restarted using the shutdown dialog. Now gnome stalls after login (camera screenshot attached). I've tried hard resets and using dpkg and fix x options in recovery mode, but neither work. I've also tried booting from different kernel versions (8.04 only) with the same gnome stall result.

Not sure if the problem stems from installing the second update after the restart was required or if there was some other dependency that broke gnome from the first update. Either way, there's something the devs need to fix.

I'm at a loss of what to do. I could reinstall from a live CD, but I'd prefer to fix the current installation. Any debugging suggestions welcome. I'll hold off on the live CD reinstall till thursday night for suggestions.