PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrade problem: some programs won't run, others are fine

Jeffa
May 28th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Hello Community,

I just upgraded to 8.04 yesterday. The upgrade process went fine, no errors or anything.

but after using ubuntu for a while, i've noticed some programs won't start. Specifically, if i try and run

System->Administration->
Samba
Firestarter
Hardware Testing
Software Sources
Synaptec Package Manager
Update Manager

I get a little box at the bottom of the screen saying the package is starting, but then the box disappears and the package never starts. I also can't seem to install packages through "Applications->Add/Remove"

I'm running the 64 bit version.

I searched around these forums, but didn't really see any other issues like this.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

hal8000
May 28th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Hello Community,

I just upgraded to 8.04 yesterday. The upgrade process went fine, no errors or anything.

but after using ubuntu for a while, i've noticed some programs won't start. Specifically, if i try and run

System->Administration->
Samba
Firestarter
Hardware Testing
Software Sources
Synaptec Package Manager
Update Manager

I get a little box at the bottom of the screen saying the package is starting, but then the box disappears and the package never starts. I also can't seem to install packages through "Applications->Add/Remove"

I'm running the 64 bit version.

I searched around these forums, but didn't really see any other issues like this.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

I'm not running 64bit version but you need to start each program from a terminal. Hopefully some useful output may be gained as to whats wrong.

For synaptic type

sudo synaptic

for hardware testing the command is:
gksu /usr/bin/hwtest-gtk

You can find out the command for each shortcut by rightclicking each item, add the launcher to desktop then check properties and launcher command that way.
Hope you find a solution.

dstew
May 28th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Check this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-613521.html). Apparently you get a line in your /etc/hosts file that causes the problem.

Jeffa
May 29th, 2008, 03:45 AM
Check this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-613521.html). Apparently you get a line in your /etc/hosts file that causes the problem.

Brilliant! That did the trick. You sir have earned yourself a "Thanks"! My only regret is that I have but one to give.

Cheers.