PDA

View Full Version : A Kid using Linux

reyhan
May 28th, 2008, 12:33 PM
hey i'am just wanna ask is this weird a kid using
linux because i am only 13 years old...:):)

Ub1476
May 28th, 2008, 12:35 PM
It might depend on what distro you use;)

Ubuntu isn't very hard to figure out, but it's a learning curve anyway.

Good initiative is always good to have.
Congrats to you:)

Enriquecaribe
May 28th, 2008, 12:36 PM
aint nothing wrong with that. You ever heard of on laptop per child foundation?

new2*buntu
May 28th, 2008, 12:40 PM
I'm 3 days from being 13 and I use Debian mostly.

ma_nkooo
May 28th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Best of luck reyhan, way to go. :)

reyhan
May 28th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Thanks i just use dual boot with sabayon linux
and i want to try slackware :):)

miggols99
May 28th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I was only 13 when I started using Linux, but obviously, was only using Ubuntu..it was Edgy Eft at that time. That one was my favourite :D

chewearn
May 28th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Don't let your parent finds out!

http://www.adequacy.org/stories/2001.12.2.42056.2147.html

reyhan
May 28th, 2008, 01:09 PM
my parents will not find out ....
they never care i am using linux or not especially my mother
shes really don't care i want to use windows or linux
oh yeah and my father his an IT and his don't really care...

fktt
May 28th, 2008, 01:10 PM

lol:

Are you finding programs on your computer that you don't remember installing?

Your son will probably try to install some hacker software. He may attempt to conceal the presence of the software in some way, but you can usually find any new programs by reading through the programs listed under "Install/Remove Programs" in your control panel. Popular hacker software includes "Comet Cursor", "Bonzi Buddy" and "Flash".

:roll:

popch
May 28th, 2008, 01:14 PM

Hi, there. For some in this forum, you're already an elderly person. Nothing weird at all.

linuxisfree
May 28th, 2008, 01:18 PM

Nope. Not weird at all... in fact i find that quite admirable. Good luck to you!
And, yes, as said, for some in this forum (not me, i'm 22), you're an elderly.

What, btw, distro are you using?

reyhan
May 28th, 2008, 01:20 PM
i don't know Comet Cursor , Bonzi Buddy , and flash program
i only knew some of hacking tools
like john the ripper and i am only use it once

reyhan
May 28th, 2008, 01:23 PM
i just download many linux and i just install
linux mint , sabayon linux , dream linux and ubuntu

and on my flash disk i use puppy linux , backtrack linux and some
recovery tools

reyhan
May 28th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Nope. Not weird at all... in fact i find that quite admirable. Good luck to you!
And, yes, as said, for some in this forum (not me, i'm 22), you're an elderly.

chewearn
May 28th, 2008, 02:01 PM
i just download many linux and i just install
linux mint , sabayon linux , dream linux and ubuntu

and on my flash disk i use puppy linux , backtrack linux and some
recovery tools

Yea, that lunix is known hacker tool.

lol

reyhan
May 28th, 2008, 02:32 PM
okey but i'am not using for hacking

Bigtime_Scrub
May 28th, 2008, 02:33 PM

I hope whoever wrote that was just trying to be funny, otherwise it is the most ignorant article I've ever read.

reyhan
May 28th, 2008, 02:35 PM
lol:

Yea, that lunix is known hacker tool.

you wrong spelled Linux to lunix

reyhan
May 28th, 2008, 02:40 PM
i think whoever who wrote this (http://www.adequacy.org/stories/2001.12.2.42056.2147.html)
doesn't like linux very much

xuCGC002
May 28th, 2008, 03:06 PM
I started linux when I was 11 (I blame my Uncle). My first distro was Debian on my old laptop, but then I replaced it with Xubuntu, Put Ubuntu on my desktop, and later Fluxbuntu on that same laptop.

EDIT:

8. Is your son obsessed with "Lunix"?

BSD, Lunix, Debian and Mandrake are all versions of an illegal hacker operation system, invented by a Soviet computer hacker named Linyos Torovoltos, before the Russians lost the Cold War. It is based on a program called "xenix", which was written by Microsoft for the US government. These programs are used by hackers to break into other people's computer systems to steal credit card numbers. They may also be used to break into people's stereos to steal their music, using the "mp3" program. Torovoltos is a notorious hacker, responsible for writing many hacker programs, such as "telnet", which is used by hackers to connect to machines on the internet without using a telephone.
Linyos Torovoltos is stealing my stereo! An he's not using a telephone!

@_R_|\/|_@_G_E_|)_|)_0|\|
May 28th, 2008, 04:52 PM

:) Guess what man? I'm only 11!

artir
May 28th, 2008, 04:55 PM
I'm 15. :p I started with 11 or sth like that

toupeiro
May 28th, 2008, 05:14 PM

:) I was 7 when I first starting learning AmigaDOS and around 9 or so when I started learning MS-DOS. You're never too old, or young, to learn something new! Best of luck to you!

Gambini
May 28th, 2008, 05:33 PM

I thought that was serious until #3:
AMD is a third-world based company who make inferior, "knock-off" copies of American processor chips. They use child labor extensively in their third world sweatshops, And then I started laughing my way through the article and comments. Good read.

And on topic, I started when I was 16, so kudos to you.

EvilMarshmallow
May 28th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I thought that was serious until #3:

Sadly, I'm *still* skeptical about whether it's a joke or not. There are people I know who are honestly that clueless about the workings of a PC. You can get them to believe ANYTHING if you tell them it involves a "special computer".

Back on topic though... if I'd started on Linux at 13 I'd probably be a lot better off than I am now. My first Linux experience was RedHat at age 21 (almost 5 years ago).

My advice to you "whippersnappers" is to learn it, and learn it well. You might see yourselves as just kids right now, but a few years from now you'll be the ones maintaining the repos and writing the code that keeps the distribution running. I teach part-time at a community college, and enrollment is usually pretty bad for the computer tech classes... I don't know who we're expecting to write the code that the world runs on for the next 20 years...

joshdudeha
May 28th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I'm 13 too ^_^ Installed linux when I was 12 rofl. Started with dapper drake.
And seriously, that article made me laugh so much

If your son has requested a new "processor" from a company called "AMD", this is genuine cause for alarm. AMD is a third-world based company who make inferior, "knock-off" copies of American processor chips. They use child labor extensively in their third world sweatshops, and they deliberately disable the security features that American processor makers, such as Intel, use to prevent hacking. AMD chips are never sold in stores, and you will most likely be told that you have to order them from internet sites. Do not buy this chip! This is one request that you must refuse your son, if you are to have any hope of raising him well.
LMFAO!!!!

8. Is your son obsessed with "Lunix"?

BSD, Lunix, Debian and Mandrake are all versions of an illegal hacker operation system, invented by a Soviet computer hacker named Linyos Torovoltos, before the Russians lost the Cold War. It is based on a program called "xenix", which was written by Microsoft for the US government. These programs are used by hackers to break into other people's computer systems to steal credit card numbers. They may also be used to break into people's stereos to steal their music, using the "mp3" program. Torovoltos is a notorious hacker, responsible for writing many hacker programs, such as "telnet", which is used by hackers to connect to machines on the internet without using a telephone.

Your son may try to install "lunix" on your hard drive. If he is careful, you may not notice its presence, however, lunix is a capricious beast, and if handled incorrectly, your son may damage your computer, and even break it completely by deleting Windows, at which point you will have to have your computer repaired by a professional.

If you see the word "LILO" during your windows startup (just after you turn the machine on), your son has installed lunix. In order to get rid of it, you will have to send your computer back to the manufacturer, and have them fit a new hard drive. Lunix is extremely dangerous software, and cannot be removed without destroying part of your hard disk surface. LMFAO. Wtf! "Illegal operating system" made by a soviet hacker PMPL!!
God, is this bloke for serious.

Enthralled
May 28th, 2008, 07:23 PM

Nope. Not weird at all. I was also 13 when I started using Linux, now I'm 15, and I still use it and like it very much :) While I was on Windows, i made no progress in my tech education, but since I moved to Linux, I learn something new every day. Linux somehow successes in making you more and more a tech geek.

pjpeter
May 28th, 2008, 07:54 PM
well i'd rather be a tech geek than not have a clue what my windows pc is automatically doing 4 me

cardinals_fan
May 28th, 2008, 08:01 PM
I'm 14 using NetBSD and Slackware.

bobbocanfly
May 28th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Im 15 now but started when i was about 13. Saying that I started my first open-source project about 2 weeks before my 12th birthday, a C#.NET Microsoft text2speech frontend :(

sailor2001
May 28th, 2008, 09:29 PM
the youngest I've seen on the forums was 10 years old

DrMelon
June 21st, 2008, 01:34 PM
I'm 15. It's nice to see people growing up with sense in their heads.

Open Source all the way, folks!:guitar:

_DD_
June 21st, 2008, 01:47 PM
I started linux when I was 11

Heh, same :D
I started with SuSE on an old PC which I set up as an FTP server. Us 11 year olds aren't too bad at this computer stuff are we :p?

Anyway, I'm now 16 which feels old when I see all these younger people.

The youngest person I've ever seen using Linux was my 8 year-old cousin (who's also dyslexic, not that it matters). He wanted a laptop so I set up an old one with Xubuntu and he got on really well with it; he learnt how to install games via the package manager, use the word processor, etc.

All great until my aunt wanted to install a free CD thing that came with a cereal packet for him and got confused, at which point someone found a copy of XP and wiped it :mad:

yamfox
June 21st, 2008, 03:41 PM
I'm 11, and I have tried Ubuntu, SLAX, Puppy, DSL, Arch and Mandriva

yamfox
June 21st, 2008, 03:43 PM
Did I forget SUsE and DeLi?

Fingel
June 21st, 2008, 03:44 PM
Good for you man. I started around the same age with Redhat 8.0
Linux was different back in the good 'ol days...

gameryoshi600
June 21st, 2008, 03:48 PM
Way to go. I started at 14 and turning 15 soon. My little brother is 8 and he loves linux (Mostly for the penguin? I guess.)

yamfox
June 21st, 2008, 03:51 PM
Yeah, when my bro was 14 he snuck into school with a Red Hat live cd and used it for typing in Computer class. (His teacher told him: "WE ONLY USE WORD HERE!! NOW WE HAVE TO GET THE IT GUYS IN HERE TO UNINSTALL THIS... VIRUS!!!)

gameryoshi600
June 21st, 2008, 03:51 PM
Yeah, when my bro was 14 he snuck into school with a Red Hat live cd and used it for typing in Computer class. (His teacher told him: "WE ONLY USE WORD HERE!! NOW WE HAVE TO GET THE IT GUYS IN HERE TO UNINSTALL THIS... VIRUS!!!)

Haha that Teacher is a noob. XD

(&*4h*)#$
June 21st, 2008, 03:54 PM
:) I was 7 when I first starting learning AmigaDOS and around 9 or so when I started learning MS-DOS. You're never too old, or young, to learn something new! Best of luck to you!

Very true. :)

yamfox
June 21st, 2008, 03:55 PM
Way to go. I started at 14 and turning 15 soon. My little brother is 8 and he loves linux (Mostly for the penguin? I guess.)
My bro is eight too. We have a family computer downstairs that uses Windows, but here always uses my tinkering machine with Ubuntu on it. (Once when his Computer teacher told him that "You should always close popup windows because you could get a virus, he didn't know what either of those things was, lol.) He's not one to complain on why the IE icon isn't on the desktop, he just opens up firefox and goes to Youtube or he plays a round of SuperTux.

Canis familiaris
June 21st, 2008, 04:35 PM

What a crap post!

Canis familiaris
June 21st, 2008, 04:41 PM
Computer hackers are often limited by conventional computer hardware. They may request "faster" video cards, and larger hard drives, or even more memory. If your son starts requesting these devices, it is possible that he has a legitimate need. You can best ensure that you are buying legal, trustworthy hardware by only buying replacement parts from your computer's manufacturer.

LOL! This means I should be put into ultra high security prison. I ASSEMBLED MY OWN PC! OMG I'm a criminal!

If your son has requested a new "processor" from a company called "AMD", this is genuine cause for alarm. AMD is a third-world based company who make inferior, "knock-off" copies of American processor chips. They use child labor extensively in their third world sweatshops, and they deliberately disable the security features that American processor makers, such as Intel, use to prevent hacking. AMD chips are never sold in stores, and you will most likely be told that you have to order them from internet sites. Do not buy this chip! This is one request that you must refuse your son, if you are to have any hope of raising him well.

Has this guy ever heard of Hypertransport or other innovations?
I mean anybody interested in processors, video cards is a HACKER but not as the person posted it. Hacker is a computer enthusiast.
I suppose he would call a person interested in say physics "A MAD SCIENTIST"

Canis familiaris
June 21st, 2008, 05:07 PM
Anyway back to the topic
I used Linux for the first time when I was 13. I used RHL 8.0 at that time.

keiichidono
June 22nd, 2008, 03:34 AM
It's alright dude, i use Linux and i'm 13. Linux isn't hard, it's just that the general public doesn't know much about it. I have extensive knowledge with Windows and computer hardware too, those parts may become hard. :D

-gabe-noob-
June 22nd, 2008, 03:47 AM

wait... so I'm weird too than? (13= 1337

jrusso2
June 22nd, 2008, 03:48 AM
LOL! This means I should be put into ultra high security prison. I ASSEMBLED MY OWN PC! OMG I'm a criminal!

Has this guy ever heard of Hypertransport or other innovations?
I mean anybody interested in processors, video cards is a HACKER but not as the person posted it. Hacker is a computer enthusiast.
I suppose he would call a person interested in say physics "A MAD SCIENTIST"

I don't know why you all can't see that link is a parody or joke. Everyone here is too serious.

zmjjmz
June 22nd, 2008, 03:57 AM
Ohey I haven't posted here yet.
I'm 15, turning 16 in November.

ma_nkooo
June 22nd, 2008, 05:20 AM
I'm 3 days from being 13 and I use Debian mostly.Debian! just amazing.

RiceMonster
June 22nd, 2008, 05:23 AM
I don't know why you all can't see that link is a parody or joke. Everyone here is too serious.

Thank you.

To everyone:

sudo apt-get install sarcasm-detector

Lord Xeb
June 22nd, 2008, 06:45 AM
If your going to try out linux distros, try using a virtual machine like Virtualbox to see if you like them. Then dive in and go at it. That is what I did with Linux Mint and Fedora 9. I picked Mint 4.0 over 5.0 since it runs quicker >_>

Also, I am 18.

Ioky
June 22nd, 2008, 06:47 AM
It really depend, for me, I just get my first computer when I am about 11 or 12, and don't even really know something about computer until 13. At that time I don't even know about Linux.

It is good that you get your hand on Linux early. Linux is much more common this few years. Back to the day. about 1% of the people I know mention about Linux, and even for that, they are not even running linux, all they know is there is an OS call Linux. haha, but that is the world around me.

anyway, Good Lucky with everything.

-grubby
June 22nd, 2008, 06:59 AM
the youngest I've seen on the forums was 10 years old

The youngest I saw was 7. BTW op, I'm 15, I started when I was 14. There are many people here less then the age of 18

kevin11951
June 22nd, 2008, 07:06 AM
isnt it illegal for anyone under the age of 13 to be here... read the Ubuntu forums eula.

kasio
June 22nd, 2008, 07:40 AM
Congrats! I'm 15 and didn't start using Linux full time until I was 14 (April 2007 - Never looked back.). I had dabbled before, just formatting my Windows and putting Ubuntu on, but it always came up ith an error...Now Ubuntu works fine, and I have learnt alot more about computing than I ever would have using Windows!

Canis familiaris
June 22nd, 2008, 09:00 AM

I hope so

chewearn
June 22nd, 2008, 09:29 AM
I hope so

If it's a parody, we all have a good laugh reading it.
If it's entirely serious, we all have a good laugh reading it.

In the end, laughter is the best medicine. :wink:

If you can't take off your serious hat for even a moment, maybe this will help:
http://www.linuxhaxor.net/2008/05/04/funny-side-of-linux/