PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] urgent help-dvd not being read in 64 bit ubuntu 8.04

neerajkumar
May 28th, 2008, 06:06 AM
hello..
i had installed ubuntu very recently and am a brand new user.
when i tried o read dvd's in it,nothing seems to appear.
and the case is few dvd's are being read.
my mp3 dvd is read.but when i try to read a dvd wt divx movies it doesnt mount..nothing appears...
i am helpless without the cd rom.
can someone help me please?

zvacet
May 28th, 2008, 07:37 AM
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-exstras

But maybe you allready have that installed.For playing DVD you need libdvdcss2 package.You will find it in medibuntu repository.To add that repo to your source list type this

sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/hardy.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2

neerajkumar
May 28th, 2008, 09:37 AM
hey..
but the thing is am able to playt some dvd's.
like an mp3 dvd.
but not a data dvd.
i can play divx files downloaded from de internet.
but here am not able to mount the data dvd on the first place.
is there any solution?
i hav the libdvdcss2 package installed.

i installed al that u told..but stil its not working...

zvacet
May 28th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Do you have w64 codecs installed?If not in synaptic search box type w64 and you will find them.Install.

neerajkumar
May 28th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Do you have w64 codecs installed?If not in synaptic search box type w64 and you will find them.Install.

yes i do have that.
but still its not working.
something else i noticed was after installing the updates thru update manager i got an errror at the end.

it was like this.

"Failed to fetch cdrom:[Ubuntu 8.04 _Hardy Heron_ - Release amd64 (20080423)]/dists/hardy/main/binary-amd64/Packages.gz Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
Failed to fetch cdrom:[Ubuntu 8.04 _Hardy Heron_ - Release amd64 (20080423)]/dists/hardy/restricted/binary-amd64/Packages.gz Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead."

does this have anything 2 do wit it?

zvacet
May 28th, 2008, 10:08 PM
No it doesn´t.It simply say that your CD is not in drive and because of that system is not able to fatch updates from it.Go to the system>admin>software sources and there check/uncheck CD as repository.That will fix it.But that is not answer to your original question.